Help us be a 2020 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Neglected Set & Setting, Got Put in My Place
Mushrooms & Cannabis
by Anonymous
Citation:   Anonymous. "Neglected Set & Setting, Got Put in My Place: An Experience with Mushrooms & Cannabis (exp100193)". Erowid.org. Sep 8, 2017. erowid.org/exp/100193

repeated smoked Cannabis
  T+ 0:00   oral Mushrooms (dried)
  T+ 5:00   repeated smoked Cannabis
  T+ 5:00   repeated smoked Tobacco - Cigarettes

This is the story of my second trip on mushrooms, fourth trip overall. I was visiting a friend from high school at her apartment I had never been to, in a city I was unfamiliar with, with people I did not know. The previous night me, my friend, and her boyfriend had all taken Adderall, which typically makes me testy, and then the day of, me and my friend were running around town on dealing business. We ended up selling the shrooms we were going to take, so there was uncertainty that we were going to be taking them that night. My set and setting was not where it should have been for this upcoming trip.

Around 10 pm, however, her boyfriend showed up at her place already tripping, with mushrooms for all. We had been smoking all day, and I took a couple of bong rips of a kief bowl, before digging into my shrooms. The bag had about a quarter-ounce in it, and I took the smallest stem and a decent sized cap, guesstimated to about a half-eighth (the dose I had taken three weeks previously). This was about 10:30 pm (T+0.0)

11:00 pm (T+0.50)
We were all sitting on the couch, waiting for everything to start, and I started feeling extremely tired. Right after I realized my exhaustion, I began to feel generally trippy, and immediately regretted eating the shrooms, but decided to ignore the feeling. My body was tingling and everything felt nice and soft, then the visuals kicked in. There were thin rainbow circles exploding off of everything I focused on, they reminded me of sound waves. They continued throughout the whole night.

11:45 pm (T+1.25)
At some point my friendís roommate had left and had now come back with a group of shady guys. Us three were the tripping kids in the corner, and I donít think I said a word the entire time they were there. I was ridden with anxiety, I was so incredibly nervous because I felt that something would go wrong. I hid under a blanket on the couch we were on in the corner, and had some really beautiful visuals. In the darkness, I could see a rainbow figure, shaped like a wooden mannequin, yet moving like a human. She was dancing, and she turned pink, at which I came up from under my blanket and my friend stated, ďit feels like my soul is a pink dancer,Ē which was mind-blowing, yet I didnít want to say anything. I went back under the blanket after that, and began to get very scared and nervous and didnít know what to do. My friendís boyfriend was rolling a spliff, but I decided against smoking it for some reason, so I stayed under the blanket. I had very dark thoughts, my chest was pounding, and I came up for air, to find myself alone with the roommate and her friends.

12:30 am (T+2.0)
I ran into my friendís room, freaking out. My stomach hurt, and I wanted to not be tripping anymore. I changed my clothes and went into the bathroom due to nausea. I do not precisely remember the thoughts I had, but I felt like I was dying. I realized my insignificance in relation to the universe, and related it to the fact that my friend and her boyfriend had left the room without me, I decided I was unwanted by them. For the next three hours, I hid in the bath tub, with some radical thoughts and the circles continuing, as well as other visuals from the tiles of the floor and the pattern on the tub. My friend came in to twice to check on me. I felt a lot better when she was there, but didnít want to move because of my stomach hurting and my anxiety that she didnít want me to be there. I stayed by myself horrified by the substance and myself. I have a history of mental illness and self-destructive behavior, and became disgusted with the fact that I would do this to myself (I had a similar revelation on my second trip on DMT).

3:30 am (T+5.0)
I called my friend in and she helped me up out of the tub and we went and smoked a lot of weed and cigarettes in her room. Her and her boyfriend asked if I was okay, I guess I had been crying, and I told them that Iíd be fine, just that I didnít want to do drugs anymore, and I wanted to stop tripping. They comforted me and we eventually went to bed, me on the couch in the living room, them in her bed. This was about 5:00 am, 6.5 hours after the dose had been taken.

The next morning I woke up, hoping that I would be okay, but when I was waiting for my bus back home, I had a horrible anxiety attack and continued to be scared for the next few weeks. During those weeks I smoked way too much bud, and became incredibly anxious, which I still am, and itís been about two and a half months since the trip. Iíve since stopped tripping and I donít really smoke weed anymore. Things are getting better, but I saw this as a warning about the importance of set and setting, not just for tripping, but for life.

Exp Year: 2013ExpID: 100193
Published: Sep 8, 2017Views: 1,697
Mushrooms (39), Cannabis (1) : Combinations (3), Post Trip Problems (8), Difficult Experiences (5), Small Group (2-9) (17)