Shulgin Notebooks and Lab Books
Project overview and updates
v1.6 - Sep 23, 2015
IntroductionAfter several years of consideration and preparation, the first of Alexander Shulgin's lab books were scanned in 2007 and made available online. The lab books contain detailed experience reports about a wide variety of psychoactive substances as well as notes on chemical processes, formulas, sketches, and hand-drawn graphs.
The Shulgins' trusted assistants, gregM and Tania, took on the labor-intensive process of redacting the names of individuals whose privacy should be protected. The scanning was facilitated by Archive.org and performed by gregM and Raj Kumar. Paul Daley and Erowid staff continue to digitize and hand-redact additional lab and note books.
Shawn (erowid crew member) has been leading the transcription project for years and he has put in countless hours working on these note books. Shawn has produced five manually-transcribed, hand designed PDFs that make Sasha's notebooks readable and searchable. A truly amazing effort.
Erowid continues to seek volunteers to transcribe the texts and edit images to make them more readable. We are currently at the stage of transcription and proofreading of transcriptions. If you would like to help with this project, please Volunteer Today!
2014 Lab Book Project Update #Shawn continues to work on transcribing, manually redacting, and creating searchable PDFs from the original photographs of the notebooks and lab books. In 2014, Shawn has completed Pharmacology Book 4 and 5 and we are working on the next set of scanning in late 2014.
In the searchable PDFs, some words are highlighted in yellow indicating that the team was unable to determine what the word was in the original hand written text. We've received several corrections and sleuthings that allowed us to update the PDFs with the correct word. Thanks and keep them coming! (June 23, 2014)
2013 Lab Book Project Update #
The lab books scanned and transcribed so far -- Books 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 -- have fallen into two categories: Pharmacology books (mainly comprised of experience reports), and "Chemistry" books, (comprised of lab notes, "dirty pictures" (sketches of molecules), and spectra print-outs from analytical instruments).
After many many hours of dedicated volunteer time, a proof-of-concept public beta version of searchable Lab Book 6 (PDF) -- one of the Chemistry books -- was released in September 2012. This was followed in December 2012 by the release of searchable Lab Book 1 (PDF) from the Pharmacology series, and in March 2013 by the release of searchable Lab Book 2 (PDF) from the Pharmacology series. A special congratulations and thank you for the result of this effort goes to the volunteer project lead, Shawn.
Books 6, 1, and 2 demonstrate what the transcribed Shulgin Lab Books will look like, after the process of deciphering, transcribing, and creating a facsimile takes place. In a few places, given Shulgin's handwriting, the age of the documents, and the peculiarities of special characters used in chemistry notation, volunteers were not able to decipher some bits of text. In these cases, text is indicated either in red or highlighted in yellow. (Eventually we'd love to crowd-source the deciphering of these remaining bits of text.)
Pharmacology Notebook 1 #
- Pharmacology Notebook 1 PDF (Searchable) (4.7MB)
- Color PDF (22MB)
- Black and White PDF (8MB)
- Book 1 File List
- Archive.org's Shulgin Lab Book Page
- Covers approximately 1960-1976
Pharmacology Notebook 2 #
- Pharmacology Notebook 2 PDF (Searchable) (2.8MB)
- Color PDF (100MB)
- Fuzzy Low Resolution Color PDF (15MB)
- Black and White PDF (8MB)
- Book 2 File List
- Alexander Shulgin's Pharmacology Lab Books: Book 2 Notes - Mar 26, 2008
- Covers approximately 1976-1980
Pharmacology Notebook 3 #
Pharmacology Notebook 4 #
Pharmacology Notebook 5 #
- Pharmacology Notebook 5 PDF (Searchable) (2.2MB)
- Covers approximately 1982-1983
Pharmacology Notebook 6 #
- Pharmacology Notebook 6 PDF (Searchable) (3.6MB)
- Covers approximately 1983-1984
Chemistry Lab Book 6 #
Chemistry Lab Book 8 #
Revision History #
- v1.0 - Sep 27, 2012 - Searchable Chemistry Lab Book 6 (PDF) added.
- v1.1 - Dec, 2012 - Searchable Pharmacology Notebook 1 (PDF) added.
- v1.2 - Mar 21, 2013 - Searchable Pharmacology Notebook 2 (PDF) added.
- v1.3 - May 21, 2013 - Searchable Pharmacology Notebook 3 (PDF) added.
- v1.4 - Feb 27, 2014 - Searchable Pharmacology Notebook 4 (PDF) added, clarified naming, minor updates, added more acknowledgement of the herculean efforts of Shawn..