Erowid Announcement #95
Dec 03, 2008
A bunch of interesting articles have been added in the last month. Make sure to check out the entries below! If you are an Erowid member, you should have received the new issue of Extracts in mid-November. As we've moved to a new mailing method, please let us know if you expected to receive it and haven't.
We currently have two specials to encourage readers to make tax deductible end-of-the-year contributions to help support Erowid Center's work publishing and archiving information about psychoactive plants and chemicals. First, we have Visionary Synthesis posters signed by Dr. Shulgin as gifts at the Supporter+ ($200) level and unsigned posters at the Basic ($40) level:
And second, we have three new glass molecule designs: psilocybin, salvinorin-A, and the ayahuasca pair of DMT and harmine. All three are available at the Supporter+ ($175) level:
We welcome submissions, suggestions, criticisms, or corrections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
fire & earth
EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTMSSF Fungus Fair
December 6-7, 2008: Oakland, CA
Fire and Earth will be speaking at 1:30 this Saturday at the Mycological Society of San Francisco's Fungus Fair held each year at the Oakland Museum of California. The theme of their talk is "Magic Mushroom Medicine: History and Current Research."
- Tropane Alkaloids and Phantom SmokingErowid.org/plants/datura/datura_info10.shtml
A description of the "phantom smoking" phenomenon that sometimes occurs after ingestion of tropane alkaloids contained in datura, brugmansia, and belladonna, including excerpts of first person experiences.
- 2C-B-Fly Entry from Shulgin 'Psychedelic Index'Erowid.org/chemicals/2cb_fly/2cb_fly_info1.shtml
Advance copy entry of this uncommon psychedelic, which is also the topic of an article in the November 2008 issue of Erowid Extracts.
- Plant Medicines and Shamanic Healing, by Ross HeavenErowid.org/chemicals/ayahuasca/ayahuasca_article1.pdf
An article about ayahuasca and its use in healing ceremonies from the May 2008 issue of Positive Health magazine.
- San Pedro, The Miracle Healer, by Ross HeavenErowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_writings1.shtml
An interview with a San Pedro healer from Peru.
- Amanita muscaria Preparation for Beginners, by Clark HeinrichErowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas_info8.shtml
A short article by an A. muscaria expert describing methods of ingesting small amounts of the mushroom rather than large doses.
- Nicotine and Drug TestingErowid.org/chemicals/nicotine/nicotine_testing.shtml
Summary, discussion and Info by test type (urine, hair, saliva, blood) for nicotine.
- The 2008 World Psychedelic ForumErowid.org/conferences/conference_2008_psychedelic_forum.shtml
Jon Hanna's conference report about Gaia Media Foundation's second event held in Basel, Switzerland. Originally published in Erowid Extracts, June 2008.
- Response of Cluster Headache to LSD and PsilocybinErowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_article8.pdf
An academic poster describing research into the effects of LSD and psilocybin on cluster headaches.
- St. John's Wort Bits & PiecesErowid.org/herbs/sjwort/sjwort_bits.shtml
Three referenced snippets of info related to St. John's Wort.
- Acacia Bits & PiecesErowid.org/plants/acacia/acacia_bits.shtml
A note about the presence of nicotine and mescaline in one Acacia species.
- Mimosa Bits & PiecesErowid.org/plants/mimosa/mimosa_bits.shtml
Two bits of info related to Mimosa tenuiflora.
- Excerpt from Sensitivae Censitae: A Description of the Genus MimosaErowid.org/plants/mimosa/mimosa_writings1.pdf
Botanical information about various psychoactive Mimosa species from a book in the Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden series.
- Character Vault UpdatesErowid.org/culture/characters/metzner_ralph/metzner_ralph.shtml
Images added to Ralph Metzner and Roger Heim vaults.
- One new image was added:
Cannabis spp. Seeds
- Library/Bookstore - 11 books addedErowid.org/library/books/
Strange Visions: Hallucinogen-Related Disorders, by L. Bayer
Webs of Smoke: by K. Meyer & T. Parssinen
Vincent van Gogh: Chemicals, Crisis, and Creativity, by Wilfred Arnold
- The Erowid Review, one new review added:Erowid.org/review/
Iboga: The Visionary Root of African Shamanism, reviewed by Lux
- 108 New Experience ReportsErowid.org/exp/exp.cgi?DateRange&Y1=2008&M1=10&D1=28&M2=12&D2=3
One of the top rated experiences published was:
"A Life Cycle" (LSD), by Halcyon
EcstasyData.orgConducts laboratory testing of street Ecstasy tablets.
Between Oct 28 and Dec 1, results for four new tablet were posted.
DONATE OR BECOME A MEMBERIf you find Erowid a useful resource and are interested in supporting its future development, please consider donating or becoming a member. Erowid.org/donations/
MEMBERSHIPS / DONATIONS
LIST SUBSCRIPTION INFO