Review Erowid at GreatNonprofits.org!
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" for the 10th year in a row
and spread info about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Testing Positive for Amphetamines
Cacti - T. pachanoi
by BOOMERHIPPY
Citation:   BOOMERHIPPY. "Testing Positive for Amphetamines: An Experience with Cacti - T. pachanoi (exp66463)". Erowid.org. Feb 14, 2008. erowid.org/exp/66463

oral Cacti - T. pachanoi (dried)
    smoked Cannabis

Short Story:
When I went to the doctor several months ago (an addiction specialist who is helping me overcome an opiate addiction) I was asked to submit a urine specimen for testing.

I had recently been to a Roger Waters: Dark Side of the Moon concert where I had indulged in smoking marijuana as well as ingesting dried San Pedro (Trichocereus Pachanoi) cactus which is 1%-2% mescaline by volume.

The testing was done right there in the doctors office using what looked like several different over-the-counter testing kits that use multiple 'indicator strips' that change color and appearance when put in contact with the urine.

I tested positive for most everything, which I expected, but I also tested positive for Amphetamines which surprised me.

A month went by and steadily that positive indication on each new Amphetamine indicator strip test was slowly fading until I was finally negative for Amphetamines.

That same week the doctor confronted me with the results of my first urine which he had sent to a Lab for further analysis by GC/MS methods. By this time I had my own working theory that it was the Mescaline that 'flagged' my earlier positive amphetamine test.

However, the lab results of the GC/MS testing showed no amphetamines were present in any detectable levels. The reason is because although the lab tested for 20+ drugs, 3,4,5-trimethoxy--phenethylamine was not one of the the drugs on the list.. and they look for specifics.

The next weekend I coincidentally decided to have another mescaline experience. And on my very next doctor visit I tested positive again for amphetamines, surprise.

The moral of the story is, in my humble opinion, ironically it likely that mescaline will be detected as an amphetamine using low tech Over-The-Counter test kits and the NIDA-5 govt. standard test but the more high tech GC/MS testing methods often do not SPECIFICALLY check for the presence of mescaline unless requested/suspected by whomever is requesting the testing.

[Reported Dose: 'threshold 200mg']

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 66463
Published: Feb 14, 2008Views: 23,112
Mescaline (36), Cacti - T. pachanoi (64), Drug Testing (59) : Post Trip Problems (8), General (1), Festival / Lg. Crowd (24)