Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
Huasca Brew (B. caapi, M. tenuiflora, & D. cabrerana)
Citation:   Thoth. "Awareness: An Experience with Huasca Brew (B. caapi, M. tenuiflora, & D. cabrerana) (exp34894)". Jul 6, 2004.

T+ 0:00
7.0 g oral Syrian Rue (powder / crystals)
  T+ 0:30 13 g oral Mimosa tenuiflora (tea)
  T+ 0:30 9.0 g oral Diplopterys cabrerana (tea)
  T+ 0:30 2.0 g oral Banisteriopsis caapi (tea)
Background Information:

I had drank Ayahuasca twice before this occassion. The first time gave very minimal effects and the second time gave apparent but still subdued visual hallucinations and mental empathy. Both of these experiences felt very empty and hollow and they did not seem typical of the amazing and enlightening Ayahuasca experiences that I had read so much about. I wanted to see and feel the overwhelming 'spirit' of Ayahuasca. So I decided to use the remaining plants that I had ordered online to try a final attempt. The first two attempts were experienced alone so I decided to share what I had with two friends of mine (J and D).

Neither J or D had ever done Ayahuasca before but they both showed great respect for it and they handled their Mushroom trips in the past well enough. I thought that it would only be ethical to share something like Ayahuasca. Both J and D are very good friends of mine and I was happy to provide them with the experience.


I had crushed about 21g of Syrian Rue seeds to a very fine powder with a coffee grinder. The resulting powder was then placed in empty capsules. I figured that we could take the capsules one half an hour before ingesting the actual Ayahuasca.

After this I began cooking the Ayahuasca. The plants that I had decided to use in this brew were 27g of Diplopterys cabrerana (something I had never tried before), 40g of Mimosa Hostilis Bark, and some leftover Banisteriopsis Caapi that I felt needed to be included in the brew (even though it may not have much of an effect at this level). I also decided to add about one additional gram of Syrian Rue powder into the brew, just in case.

I mixed this all together in a large jar filled with apple juice. This sat overnight and recieved shaking every few hours. The next day I emptied the contents of the jar into a pot partially filled with filtered water and ALOT of apple slices. I had no lemons at the time so I had substituted it with apples in order to help extract the tryptamines. I also thought that this may aid in the very very vile taste of Ayahuasca. I made sure not to actually boil the mixture while cooking it.

After cooking the brew for 3-4 hours, I filtered it through a spaghetti strainer several times and then through coffee filters several times. The final product (a greenish/brown foamy liquid with a very intimidating smell) was placed in my refridgerator.

The Experience:

After a day of refridgeration, it was time to bring the brew to J and D's house (who happen to live together). I made sure to inform J and D to be careful about eating tyramine-rich foods for 48 hours. They even decided to fast for the day beforehand. I just limited my tyramine consumption.

J and D always have several people at their house and tonight was no exception. There were 4 or so of our communal friends already there. For the first few hours we all engaged in conversation about how I planned this whole event out. Everyone seemed anxious to see how we would react. It seemed that many of these people did not even know what Ayahuasca was before I came over with a container full of it.

At around 10:30pm one of the friends drove us to pick up a good friend of mine who is knowledgable on DMT and Ayahuasca. He was not intending on drinking it on this night but I was very happy that we would be with us. It was now J, D, and myself drinking the Ayahuasca with 5 friends watching us.

It was 11:30pm once we arrived back at J and D's house. It was time to eat the Syrian Rue capsules. We all ate around 7 of the capsules by breaking the capsules open, placing the powder in our mouths, and then quickly chasing it down with water. This really wasn't very bad-tasting. It seemed that we all wasted some of the contents of the capsules in the process of breaking them open, so we decided to all take 3 additional capsules just to be absolutely positive that we had taken enough. I made sure to be calculate how much each capsule would have in it.

We sat outside after eating the Syrian Rue and saw that the moon was very visibly full and the sky was absolutely clear. It was a gorgeous summer night and it seemed like a perfect stage for a psychedelic journey to be played out on. The sedative effects of the seeds gently came on and soon enough it was midnight (and time to drink the Ayahuasca).

I poured the brew equally into three cups (one cup for each of us). I forewarned both J and D that Ayahuasca was definitely the worst tasting liquid that I had ever consumed. They remained confident and J reminded me that he has drank opium tea before (which he claims tastes very bad).

I began to worry that neither of them could keep the Ayahuasca down long enough or that perhaps I did not use enough plant matter. I also worried that this experience may be more based on 5-MeO-DMT rather than DMT since Diplopterys cabrerana was used. Regardless of this we drank it down as the 5 friends watched us very cautiously. The familiar bitterness and throat-constricting taste returned to me. D drank his very quickly and soon finished while J and I drank our portions very slowly. J became visibly sick. Soon I finished my portion and (with relief) went to sit down away from J in order to give him some space. Unfortunately J soon vomitted. He seemed very upset about doing this but I reassured him that it was alright.

My stomach began to ache horribly. I knew that I had to hold on while my body absorbed the tryptamines. D and I noted that we felt dreamy and affected already. J even said that he felt different, despite his immediate vomitting. Soon the clear sky was filled with very fast flying, distinct, and thick colorful tracers. The dreamy feeling increased. Soon everything had trails around it. I looked down as I walked and moved my feet and the image of where my shoe was before moving it remained. It was the same with my hands, which I excitedly shook around. Soon D had vomitted and I would soon follow. It felt very very relieving to have thrown up. After getting that over with, J, D, myself, and all of the friends who were with us decided to go walk around the neighborhood.

D and I, who were the only ones who were tripping at this point, became segregated from everyone else as we walked. I could hear everyone behind me talking and every word echoed. They seemed so far away but I could hear them so well. They sounded very alien. My hearing also seemed to have the infamous 'tryptamine train' buzzing noise. I started to close my eyes as we walked and I began seeing close-eyed visuals. They were of Aztec-like patterns but still remained somewhat faint.

When we had got back to J and D's house, everyone stood outside and talked. Everything became too overwhelming at this point so I sat with my head down alone on their outside cement stairway. The close-eyed visuals were very overpowering at this point. They were now of Mayan-like green mazes with thousands of tiny pink lines circumnavigating them. It was amazing. One thing that I noticed during this is that I CONSTANTLY yawned. I yawned every few minutes. It was as though my body was preparing me to dream. As I laid there with my head down, I also had to catch myself breathing at times. A few of the friends kept questioning if I was alright and I enthusiastically responded 'Yes'.

Soon we all went inside at around 1:00am. D and I were now very noticably tripping. We both wobbled our way inside and watched as the others played video games. J seemed to miss the opportunity to trip by vomitting so early. The video game became too overwhelming to watch now as well. I kept trying to make sense of how the game worked. Then, almost instantaneously, D and I both asked eachother to go for a walk. It felt like I was coming down at this point so it seemed like a good idea...but it turned out to be a horrible idea.

We left the others and began walking. The moon seemed to glow with an orange glow. It seemed that we were getting lost. D kept talking about a friend of ours but I couldn't focus on what he was saying. Every thought imaginable was racing through my mind. I felt this immense alone feeling. I felt a realization come over me that humans are absolutely alone in the universe and that there is nothing that anyone can do about this. I had visuals of men looking to the empty night sky. Soon neither of us could barely walk anymore and we sat down on the pavement. I placed my hands on the pavement and I saw star-like speckles shimmer in the pavement and organize in patterns around my hands. The trip seemed to gain more positivity until we saw the familiar lights of a car coming towards us. It became very frightening. D just kept repeating 'It has to be a cop'. This freaked me out very much.

Luckily, it was just a typical suburban mini-van driving at 2 in the morning. Who knows what they thought when they saw two young guys sitting cross legged on the side of the street staring at them with horror. I was now horrified and told D that we needed to find our way back. He agreed and we began walking. Everything was just way too overwhelming now. I couldn't stop thinking and I desperately wanted to get back to J and D's house. It seemed like we never would but we somehow did get back. We stumbled in to the basement to find that everyone had left (to our suprise) and it was now 2:30am.

We sat in the basement and the trip really progressed for the next 2 hours. We kept discussing what everything is and it felt as though I became this energy that replaced my human self. I became horrified that I would never be sane or human again and that I was stuck being the energy of Ayahuasca playing itself out for all of eternity. This was very scary but I held it together. D seemed to be getting worried as well but I kept reassuring him that we would be alright and that we were just tripping. Every single second for these few hours seemed like a realization. I don't know if anyone could ever explain this mind-state to someone who hasn't tripped on Ayahuasca/DMT. It is just so vastly overwhelming and you view everything from a perspective that you didn't even know had existed. D and I seemed to turn into one collective energy source at one point.

Every physical part of my body felt very foreign. I forgot how to be a human, it seemed. The saliva going down my throat, my skin that I kept feeling, the simple movements of my hands. It was amazing and a complete and total loss of ego. At one point I had to piss and D suggested that I go to the outside of the house since going to the upstairs bathroom would surely wake somebody up. I complied and REALLY struggled to get outside. Finally I made it and I thought for awhile to remember how to urinate. As I pissed, the most amazing part of the journey occured. EVERYTHING vanished while I stood there and I became a body floating in a space filled with stars. This lasted only a few moments but was truly unbelievable.

By 6am D and I had come down. We went outside to smoke a cigarette and watch the sunrise and we noted how we would never be quite the same again. It was just one unbelievable experience. The entire trip was spent trying to explain to eachother how we felt but we both knew. We agreed that we would be connected forever through this experience. It seemed like the 'spirit' of Ayahuasca let us both go from it's grips at the same time. I now fully understand why it so often said that Ayahuasca has a spirit. I tend to be a more scientific-oriented person than a spiritual one but this drink surely has a force behind it.

The After-Effects:

For the next few days I felt so happy to be alive and to be a human being. It was the equivilant to decades of beneficial therapy packed into one single night. The trip was very overwhelming at times but it was well worth the ride. Ayahuasca will show you everything and provide answers to all of your questions if you need it to do so.

It truly is an amazing experience and I personally believe that every humans deserves to experience it.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 34894
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Jul 6, 2004Views: 43,195
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Banisteriopsis caapi (169), Huasca Brew (268), Mimosa tenuiflora (74), Diplopterys cabrerana (157), Syrian Rue (45) : Small Group (2-9) (17), Relationships (44), Health Benefits (32), Mystical Experiences (9), Difficult Experiences (5), Preparation / Recipes (30), General (1)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults