Ask Erowid

Ask a Question

Find an answer:

View By Category

Search Ask Erowid
Search Vaults

Enter a keyword in the search field above to look up a question or answer on a specific topic.

Off-Site Psychoactive Question Resources
  Ask Dr Shulgin

Resources at Erowid
  Plants & Drugs
  Freedom & Law
  Mind & Spirit
  Arts & Sciences
  Library / Bookstore
  What's New
  About Erowid
Where do I find info about quantities on controlled substances that qualify as 'personal use' federally?
Q: Hello, First of all. THANK YOU for providing such an incredible informational and educational site. There just is nothing better and nothing in its class.

Now for my question... I was reading the Controlled Substance Act and was trying to find the amounts of controlled substances that are considered "Personal Use" amounts. It says the amounts are regulated by the Attorney General, but did not state the amounts. I've searched the Attorney General websites and tons more and can't find a thing. Would you please reasearch where these amounts can be located and/or provide me with the amounts (to all substances referenced).

Thank you so much,

A: The DEA has a chart which defines the penalties for trafficking in various quantities of specific substances. We believe that as long as one is not caught actually 'selling' a substance, that quantities below their lowest category would be considered personal use. You can find this chart at :

Unfortunately it doesn't include cannabis. I believe you can find information about personal use quantities at

Hope that helps at least a bit.



Asked By : Stellar40s2
Answered By : fire
Published Date : 1 / 16 / 2000
Last Edited Date : 1 / 16 / 2000
Question ID : 99

Categories: [ Law ]

Ask Erowid v1.7 - Jul, 2005

(content and html © the Vaults of Erowid. Please ask permission before publicly reproducing.)