Ask Erowid

Ask a Question


Find an answer:

View By Category

Search Ask Erowid
Search Vaults


Enter a keyword in the search field above to look up a question or answer on a specific topic.

Off-Site Psychoactive Question Resources
  Ask Dr Shulgin

Resources at Erowid
  Plants & Drugs
  Freedom & Law
  Mind & Spirit
  Arts & Sciences
  Library / Bookstore
  What's New
  About Erowid
  .
Q: 3 of my friends and i went in for $100 worth of shrooms... the only thing is, stupid me didn't think to put them in the fridge... today is dec. 24, and we bought them dec. 17. we had planned to trip new year's eve... but see, half the bag grew black mold- it's fuzzy, and i'm talking blllllllack... like ink. is it dangerous to eat that half of the bag? or can we still eat it? i realize it could taste really bad, but we're all dismayed at the possibility of having wasted $50. help!

A: I would strongly recommend against eating the moldy mushrooms. There's no way of knowing what the mold is or what kind of health problems or negative effects it could cause. At the very least it's quite likely to cause severe stomach upset. Separating the moldy parts from the un-moldy mushrooms and wiping off the surface of the remaining good mushrooms as much as possible can help to slow the growth of any new mold. And, as I'm sure you know now, refridgerating the mushrooms will help as well :) Better to waste the $50 and enjoy the experience than risk unwanted and unexpected side-effects.



As a side note, it sounds like the mushrooms weren't dry enough when you got them. Molds are much more likely to grow on mushrooms which still have moisture inside.



peace,

fire

Asked By : Elise
Answered By : fire
Published Date : 12 / 24 / 1999
Last Edited Date : 12 / 24 / 1999
Question ID : 84

Categories: [ Mushrooms (Psilocybin) ]



Ask Erowid v1.7 - Jul, 2005

(content and html © the Vaults of Erowid. Please ask permission before publicly reproducing.)