Ask Erowid

Ask a Question

Find an answer:

View By Category

Search Ask Erowid
Search Vaults

Enter a keyword in the search field above to look up a question or answer on a specific topic.

Off-Site Psychoactive Question Resources
  Ask Dr Shulgin

Resources at Erowid
  Plants & Drugs
  Freedom & Law
  Mind & Spirit
  Arts & Sciences
  Library / Bookstore
  What's New
  About Erowid
Q: I had heard recently that there is some way to abort a bad trip. I was wondering if you guys knew about anything that would subside the effects of a psychedelic quickly, primarily in the case of bad trip.

A: There isn't really a reliable way of aborting the effects of a psychedelic. In an emergency, the drug Thorazine (chlorpromazine) can be given. This will cancel many, but not all, of the effects and can have some uncomfortable side effects. This requires a trip to the emergency room for an injection.

Various anti-anxiety medicines such as Valium or Xanax may help reduce the fear and paranoia from a bad trip. Other depressants such as Kava, Alcohol, GHB or Narcotics may help somewhat as well.

The best way to handle a bad trip however is to have someone there with you to talk with. Bad trips often happen because of suppressed emotions (fear, guilt, loss) coming to the surface. Talking things over with someone not only will help come off the bad trip, but will help you confront personal issues. This is the basis of psychedelic therapy. Instead of trying to abort a bad trip, you may be better off trying to work through it.

Erowid has a pretty good introductory FAQ on psychedelic crises that's worth checking out at:

Asked By : D-Money
Answered By : murple
Published Date : 2 / 8 / 2001
Last Edited Date : 2 / 11 / 2001
Question ID : 2162

Categories: [ Bad Trips ]

Ask Erowid v1.7 - Jul, 2005

(content and html © the Vaults of Erowid. Please ask permission before publicly reproducing.)