Ask Erowid

Ask a Question

Find an answer:

View By Category

Search Ask Erowid
Search Vaults

Enter a keyword in the search field above to look up a question or answer on a specific topic.

Off-Site Psychoactive Question Resources
  Ask Dr Shulgin

Resources at Erowid
  Plants & Drugs
  Freedom & Law
  Mind & Spirit
  Arts & Sciences
  Library / Bookstore
  What's New
  About Erowid
What is the policy of bringing Schedule 2 substances into the US through customs?
Q: i was wondering what customs policy on bringing schedule 2 substances back into the country is? would i be arrested if i brought some demerol or percocet back with me from a vacation to another country? thanks.

A: You must have a prescription to posess a schedule 2 substance in the United States. Even with a prescription, most of these substances are limited as to how much you can posess at any time. Bringing a schedule substance into the United States without a prescription is illegal. Even with a legitimate presciption, customs might give you a hard time. There are specific rules about how much of a prescription substance may be imported from another country.

These rules have recently changed, but we believe that the current situation is

1) If you have a valid prescription for the substance, you may bring through customs up to the quantity that the prescription is written for.

2) Without a valid prescription, any substance which _can_ be prescribed in the United States (up through schedule II substances) may be brought through customs, but you are limited to a 50 dose supply. Additionally, the substance must be for personal use (this will be required in writing), the product and its intended use must be "appropriately identified", and the name and address must be given of the physician licensed in the U.S who is responsible for the treatment of the patient with the product.

Customs, however, has discretion in these cases. If they are suspicious of the individual or substance in question, they can confiscate the material and also have the right to contact the FDA or DEA.

Here's a couple of sites with more information about the current situation.

psilo & fire

Asked By : j
Answered By : psilo
Published Date : 6 / 7 / 2001
Last Edited Date : 6 / 7 / 2001
Question ID : 2082

Categories: [ Pharmaceuticals ] [ Law ]

Ask Erowid v1.7 - Jul, 2005

(content and html © the Vaults of Erowid. Please ask permission before publicly reproducing.)