||"Safe" is a word that is probably best avoided in the context of strong psychoactives.|
Psilocybin mushrooms, assuming they are properly identified and not contaminated with mold,
have a long history of use. Psilocybin and psilocin have also been shown in clinical research
to not cause physical damage or death even in extremely high doses.
The primary risks when working with strong psychoactives are psycho-spiritual. A small portion of
all people who try psychedelics at high doses feel traumatized by their experience and report
that their lives are disrupted for weeks or months afterwards. Unwanted or unexpected memories
may arise, traumatic childhood experiences re-experienced, psychotic or disasocated states may
occur, or the experience may be the most wonderfully transformative experience of your life.
But "safe" suggests something that is without serious risk. Too many people are surprised
by unwanted feelings and side effects afterwards to say that mushrooms or any strong psychedelics
are 'safe' without caveat.
Specific to your question, mushrooms vary a lot in potency and every individual has different
sensitivity to mushrooms. An 1/8th ounce is about 3.5 grams. 1-2grams of medium stength
Psilocybe cubensis give most people a medium strength 3-5 hour trip, with open-eye visual
patterning, mood shift, perceptual changes, changes in thinking, etc. Most people are still
quite capable of being social, some people dance, go for hikes, have long talks, listen to
As the dosage increases, the effects become stronger and last longer and at some point
(for most people between 3 and 8 grams of medium potency mushrooms) the effects become strong enough that one needs to lie down, social interactions become chaotic, one can experience virtually anything. 3.5 grams of most mushrooms in not an unreasonably large amount though taking them two days after another mushroom experience can result in some small degree of tolerence, reducing effects slightly.