Spiral Erowid Zip Hoodie
This black mid-weight zip hoodie (80/20) has front pockets,
an Erowid logo on front chest, and a spiral design on back.
Donate and receive yours!
Nearly Through It All Away
Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuiflora) & 5-MeO-DMT
by Saul
Citation:   Saul. "Nearly Through It All Away: An Experience with Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuiflora) & 5-MeO-DMT (exp96874)". Erowid.org. Feb 10, 2016. erowid.org/exp/96874

T+ 0:00
0.7 g oral Syrian Rue (tea)
  T+ 3:30 0.7 g oral Syrian Rue (tea)
  T+ 4:15 0.7 g oral Syrian Rue (tea)
  T+ 4:15 0.1 g oral Cannabis  
  T+ 5:10 70 mg oral Mimosa tenuiflora (extract)
  T+ 10:45 3 shots oral Alcohol - Hard  
  T+ 11:00 7 mg insufflated 5-MeO-DMT (powder / crystals)
2.2 g Syrian rue
70mg n n DMT
0.1g cannabis leaf
3 shots Malt whisky
Aprox 7mg 5 Meo DMT

I am male 56 years old, body weight about 65 Kilos.

Some months ago I made a small amount of DMT from Mimosa Hostilis root bark with a simple caustic soda and naptha DMT extraction. It took the form of oily yellow-brown crystals with the characteristic DMT smell. From extensive reading I was well aware that DMT and the Rue would probably not be a lightweight experience and so I had been waiting for the right time to try it out.

In my youth I smoked an industrial quantity of cannabis, and at one point contracted a viral lung disease, which was very painful, it has caused some damage and showed me forcefully the inadvisability of inhaling anything except good clean air. Last week a chest X-ray apparently showed up something and I was called back in for another to clarify the result, this was worrying and while awaiting the result I thought it would be a good time to try the DMT experience.

My two children are with my ex partner today and I do not have to work today or tomorrow, so we are clear for lift off. There is little in my largely vegetarian diet that could react adversely with the Syrian Rue but I have excluded coffee, cheese and yeast extract for the previous day. In order to facilitate a trip report I have an old micro cassette Dictaphone so I can tape my verbal impressions of the experience as it goes on, I do not know how anyone can type while tripping.

It’s a bright July day and after a light breakfast of buttered toast and orange juice I weigh out 2.2 grams of pre ground Syrian Rue seeds and place them in a saucepan with a little spring water and some lemon juice. I boil them up for about 15 minutes until the water turns dirty brown with the Harmala alkaloids and then pour it off into a glass cafeteria with a built in metal filter, then I add more water and lemon and boil again. I also mash up the grains of rue with the back of a spoon to force out all of the soluble goodies. After about the fourth lot of water, it is hardly coloured at all and that means all the active material has been extracted. I leave the combined extractions to stand, push down the filter and then pour off the dark brown liquid and leave the dregs behind.

I have found that it is not necessary to be in a hurry to consume the Rue, its effects last for several hours so I take it in small instalments to avoid the possibility of nausea caused by attacking my stomach with the whole dose of very bitter tasting liquid all in one go.

10am. I drink about a third of the brew and tidy up the house ready for my experience.

I have a physiotherapy appointment at 1.30pm and drink another third of the brew before leaving.

As I walk to the appointment I feel the effects of the rue, a mild “stone” and a relaxed feeling. I am quite able to handle the appointment without any sign of being under any influence. I have found that with my body weight about 2 grams is fine to get the MAOI effects, If I push it over 2.5 grams towards the normally recommended 3 gram dose, I get a strong inebriation, I feel “smashed” have big problems with my balance, feel nausea and just need to lie down. At that dose level, for me, it is very intoxicating and mildly psychedelic in its own right.

I return home at 2.15pm take the remainder of the Rue liquid and eat a small pre weighed amount of good Thai leaf cannabis. I have not smoked for quite a while but still find that MJ goes with anything and enhances the psychedelic experience for me. When I started experimenting with the Rue I bought a monitor to keep an eye on my blood pressure to make sure that I am aware of any reactions. I check my pressure. It is a very reassuring 110 over 70. Nice!

At 3.00pm I mix 70mg of the DMT into a small glass of lemon juice, it refuses to dissolve, so I pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and it goes into solution easily.

3.10pm Down the hatch, it tastes fine added to some orange juice, just a slight bitter after taste behind the lemon and orange.

I also weigh out 25mg of 5 Meo DMT powder into a piece of tin foil and stash it away, just in case the dose of DMT was inadequate and I needed to top up in order to get anywhere with the experience. I have no idea at all of the potency of my DMT extract and how it will react with the Rue in my system.

I had enjoyable, very recreational, experiences with the Rue combined with 4 Ho Met and 4 Ho MIPT and on one occasion topped up by sniffing up 5mg of synthetic 5 Meo DMT after the peak, and it had been OK. A slightly alien feeling after the very organic mushroom like flow of the Miprocin, but it had got me back up to a peak again without any undesirable symptoms so I thought it would make a good standby. That had been my only previous test of the synthetic 5 Meo DMT and it had made a deceptively benign impression.

3.25pm first alert, slight change of headspace, might be the cannabis creeping up, together with the woozy stone of the Rue hitting its full effect, but I thing something is happening.

3.35pm I feel some giddiness and as I pass through the darkened space of the bathroom patterning becomes apparent on surfaces and behind closed eyes multicoloured designs begin to appear. I try to play some music but find that it feels uncomfortable to listen to it. The pull of the inner world behind my eyelids is too absorbing; this high does not need music. It is fully engaging on its own.

Quotes from my Dictaphone,” ………don’t feel like listening to music….feel like lying in my bedroom, closing my eyes and following where the visuals take me….” I go to the bedroom draw the curtains and lie on my bed.

3.40pm “ wont be able to keep this up for much longer, DEEP PSYCHEDELIC ONSET!!!”

3.46pm “ visuals retreating a little but I know this is just the first wave retreating the next one is going to be the big one, I think. “

Some time between that and my next Dictaphone report, I went deep into DMT space. I find that each tryptamine has its own characteristic type of CEVs. These were like nothing I had ever seen before in 40 years of explorations. Dense complicated bright neon mandalas with a Mayan or Aztec theme. I felt the DMT enter my nervous system as rivulets of golden light. It was the most powerful onset I have ever felt. There was no chance of resistance, I simply surrendered and welcomed its penetration. It felt distinctly as if it was living energy, entering my mind lighting me up from inside like a neon anatomical model. I felt the necessity to speak to it. I apologised, I said “sorry to disturb you….but, I just want ….to see…” It answered not with words but with feelings direct into my being. It was cool I was accepted into the space. I was in communication with the spirit of all; the other side of the DMT membrane was an energy entity of total power and compassion.

4.26pm Dictaphone; “ I think the waves are retreating…I don’t know how to describe it, its too early to describe it…but I begged forgiveness and asked if I can be allowed to live longer, to take care of my children. I begged the spirit of all for this, that I be allowed to grow and heal and take care of these boys, for some years, I don’t know how long…..its not my time to pass through the membrane yet, but I have seen where it is. The trip continues to come in waves, it’s not anything you want to listen to music to, it’s a gateway, a gateway…..sigh….”

I had felt its living energy reach inside of me to where there was damage in my lung, its power entered me and I felt that I was healed. I started to beg again to be allowed to live longer and was silenced, it is done now, no need to beg. As the waves retreated I received personal guidance about issues in my life, where I need to take action. As the trip faded down it threw in an insight or two… like the answer to this question; Why is DMT so widely present in so many plants around the world? Its there, so we will find it! Simple. We are supposed to find it, the spirit wants us to find it.

4.36pm Waves are retreating now, that was just the correct dose for me, ego death breakthrough doses of DMT are a young mans game, I was blessed to get just the correct dose for me, I was taken right up to the membrane between life and death and
allowed to communicate with the power on the other side.

4.50pm The phone rings for the second time, some time ago deep in DMT space it rang and I ignored it, no possibility of answering it in a sensible way. I pick it up, it’s the Ex she’s bringing the boys around on some mission she is excited about. I get up, put my clothes on and check my pupils in the bathroom mirror, surprisingly normal looking. They come around and I handle it without them noticing that I am altered in any way. It helps that the trip has been totally cool, calm and centred. We take a short walk and she buys a kitten for my 8-year-old boy. I cradle the fragile little creature in my arms and we take it back to my Ex’s flat where it will stay. My interactions with the world are smooth and easy.

I return home about 7.18pm and eat a light meal of vegetables I prepared yesterday, from the fridge. Apart from a light relaxed feel from the Rue and the tail end of the weed I had eaten hours ago, I was pretty well at baseline.

8.45pm After I have eaten, I settle down to listen to some music and indulge in a couple of shots of single malt whisky. I listen to a favourite CD Odelay by Beck. Its freewheeling slacker spirit influences me and I check the time. The night is young. Then I remember the 5 Meo DMT I stashed in the kitchen, I do not need to go to work tomorrow and this will surely lift me back up again and make listening to music more interesting for a while before I go to bed.

9.00pm I tip out the white crystalline powder out on to a hand mirror and line it up into two very skinny lines. With a rolled up piece of paper I hoover up less than half of the shortest line. I pause to see what that will feel like; I remember that 5 Meo DMT is very strong. Immediately I notice a nasty burn in the nostril I used. I start to feel something almost right away and lie down in the bedroom to see how it will develop. I feel a rush and hear a high-pitched ringing noise in my ears. My heart begins to race, and I begin to shake a little as if shivering. I am not comfortable with the feeling. I go down stairs into the garden to see if the trees and lawn will help ground me and turn the experience around. I find myself propelled into an unpleasant and unexpected condition. My heart is racing very fast and I experience strong visuals, multiple afterimages and trails off everything. I feel a fluttery vibration in my chest and my racing heartbeat is very worrying. I realise that this is dangerous.

I rush into the kitchen and snort water into my nose and spit it out to flush any remaining powder out of my nose and try to stop this going any further. I realise that this could be the end of me. I walk up and down the garden stroking my vibrating chest gently and saying “ No.… No….NO!” I am thinking “I do not want to die here and now. This is bad”…I drop to my hands and knees on the lawn and clutch at handfuls of grass…. I try sitting in a garden chair and recite the om mane padme hum, mantra and try to calm my racing heart. I try to think if I have any medicine that could work to reduce my heart rate but I have no tranquillisers, all I have is a glass of whisky abandoned on the kitchen table, I down it in one. I really thought this could be the end of me. If I had felt any discomfort in my chest or irregularity in my heartbeat, I would have ran to my neighbour and asked them to call an ambulance. It was close. I felt my vision begin to white out as if I was going to loose consciousness. I held on some how. Pacing up and down when the waves peaked and sitting in the garden chair during the lulls. I went again to the kitchen and snorted more water. At about 10.30pm I felt confident that the worst was over and that my heart beat was slowing a little. By 11pm I was able to breath a sigh of relief. It is lucky that the 5 Meo DMT is so short lived, and I am sure that flushing out my nose helped reduce the effect.

I have no doubt that had I been just a little more rash and snurfed up one or both of those oh so skinny lines from the mirror…. that would have been the end of me. Somewhere not so far away in quantum parallel universes countless versions of me were lying dead on the lawn, it was that close.

Now, a week later I deeply regret that my rashness allowed me to overshadow the sublime DMT trip with a very dangerous 5 Meo DMT flash. I have flushed the remaining baggy down the toilet. No more experiments with that chemical.

I feel no desire to trouble the spirit of all with another DMT and Rue trip soon, perhaps in a year, I could do it again, it felt so smooth and powerful, no nausea or other physical symptoms, just perfect.

P.S. The second chest X-ray result came through………. All clear.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 96874
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: 56
Published: Feb 10, 2016Views: 9,742
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Syrian Rue (45), Huasca Combo (269), 5-MeO-DMT (58), Mimosa tenuiflora (74) : Alone (16), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Entities / Beings (37), Mystical Experiences (9), Glowing Experiences (4), Bad Trips (6), Combinations (3)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults