Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
Back to Crawling
Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuifloria)
Citation:   Psycheverbadelic. "Back to Crawling: An Experience with Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & M. tenuifloria) (exp86073)". Jul 8, 2010.

T+ 0:00
3 g oral Syrian Rue (capsule)
  T+ 0:00 1 bowl smoked Cannabis (plant material)
  T+ 0:50 10 g oral Mimosa tenuiflora (liquid)
  T+ 6:00 1 bowl smoked Cannabis (plant material)
After having smoked DMT on two occasions (from the same batch), I was eager to try again. Unfortunately, being as rare as it is, and the amount of time it would take to make myself high quality crystals, I simply didn't have the patience. I smoked it at the end of my Junior year in college, and so if I were to make any crystals anyway, it would be quite impossible to do at home. After a while, it seemed that making Ayahuasca (the drinkable form of DMT) might be a more realistic endeavor as the time it would take to make could be reduced considerably compared to the time and materials it would take to make the crystals. From my research, it seemed that the only materials I would need would be an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) containing plant that would allow the normally non-orally active DMT now-orally active along with a DMT-containing plant.

I was debating between the classic Banisteriopsis caapi vine being the MAOI coupled with Psychotria viridus being the DMT-containing plant versus Syrian Rue (MAOI) coupled with Mimosa hostilis (DMT). The former are the most common ingredients used in the Amazon where Ayahuasca was discovered and used for hundreds, if not thousands of years. It is reportedly less nauseating yet less psychedelic than the Mimosa/Rue combination. Being that I was looking into getting the most psychedelic experience possible, I decided to go with the Syrian Rue and Mimosa hostilis which was also a cheaper method. I bought a pound of the Mimosa root bark for just under $60. It was thankfully already ground up to a fine powder, saving me much time. I purchased the Syrian Rue which are seeds for just under $30.

While I ordered them from home, I had them both shipped to my college apartment, knowing that I would be up there soon to see a Phish concert, and the weekend would be an ideal time to make it without having to worry about my mother asking questions. Luckily they arrived before I got up there, and my roommate was there to sign for everything so when I got up there, I instantly got to work. The one thing I was lacking were lemons, so I quickly ran out to purchase some, and proceeded to my first attempt. I weighed out 12g of the Mimosa (a pretty small amount out of the entire pound I bought) and put it in a pot with tap water from the sink, and I cut open a lemon and squeezed the juice by hand into the pot. I then picked out the lemon seeds that had fallen in, mixed up the solution, and put it on the stove, stirring periodically. I then took a cotton t-shirt, covering the pot and attempting to filter out as much of the solids in the pot as possible. This filtering method didn't seem very effective, but I had read so many stories where this was the method. I put the filtered solution back on the double boiler, and scraped as much of the solid on the t-shirt as I could into another pot.

As I continued to stir and heat the solution, I took some marijuana and rubbed it in the residue, and put it in my bong to smoke as I continued to prepare the Mimosa. Although I wasn't expecting this to be psychedelic, I thought it might enhance the weed a bit, and it certainly did. I'm not sure if it was just because it made it burn for so much longer, but I was starting to get much higher than usual, but without any effects of the DMT itself.

Eventually I filtered it again with the t-shirt, and put the pot with the solution in it in the fridge where it sat overnight as well as the next day. This first attempt was rather half-assed, done in haste and the results reflected as much. As per the recipe, I was supposed to repeat the same double-boiler/filtration method with the Syrian Rue, but I was running out of time before having to go home, and figured I would just smoke the seeds. I tried testing it out the morning after the Phish concert where I took two tabs of acid around 3 in the afternoon causing the most psychedelic acid experience of my life, but that's for another story.

Surprisingly enough, I was still tripping off the acid pretty decently at 2 in the morning after getting back from the concert with glowing green patterns adorning my walls. Despite the fact I was still visually tripping, my body and mind were relaxed enough to fall asleep. When I woke up at 9 that morning, I was still tripping pretty much as hard as when I went to sleep. It was thoroughly enjoyable yet unexpected. It was at this time that I realized I wouldn't have time to put the rue into solution, and decided to smoke it on top of some weed out of the bong. The taste of the smoke was pretty bad and I was unable to consume the 3g I put on top of the weed.

Because I smoked it, and didn't even smoke all of it, I'm not even sure that the MAOI kicked in sufficiently as it was, although I was able to feel its effects, though it could have just been enhancing the remainder of the acid trip that was still going. I took the Mimosa mix out of the fridge and poured it into a glass. It still had a lot of soot-looking crap in it, but I waited 30 min after smoking the rue, and proceeded to slowly drink the Mimosa.

Although it did taste pretty bad, it wasn't as terrible as many people had claimed on the internet, even considering mine was poorly filtered. As I was nearing the bottom of the cup, I accidentally spilled some of it on my living room table. I got up to go get some paper towels to clean it up. Standing up might not have been the best idea as it seemed to expedite the nausea considerably. I cleaned up the mess as best I could and tried to smoke some weed out of my roommate's bowl (I had forgotten mine at home) to reduce the nausea.

Midway through my third or fourth hit, the smoke was expelled from my mouth quite unexpectedly. It wasn't from coughing, but rather from a sudden and powerful contraction in my stomach. Realizing what was about to happen, I put down the bowl and bolted to the bathroom. I made it just in time. Only around 10 minutes had passed since I had gotten the Mimosa down as I violently puked it all up. It was all liquid, and with five very powerful stomach contractions, I had gotten rid of all of it.

The thing about Ayahuasca is that vomiting is supposed to catalyze the trip, but I had hoped keep it down for around half an hour. Between the fact that I couldn't keep it down long, and not being sure if the smoked MAOI was even effective enough to work, I experienced no psychedelic effects. Surprisingly I felt fine after puking. Usually after I puke, there is at least a little queasiness or not feeling quite right, but I felt absolutely normal. I returned to finish the small amount that was left in the spilt cup. I didn't get nauseas, nor did I puke again. I experienced no effects other than I became quite sleepy and went back to bed around 11 am.

Upon waking up a few hours later, the acid trip had completely subsided. I decided I would need to try again, but had no more time before having to return home, so I pre-measured the Mimosa and Syrian Rue into separate bags, and brought everything home with me, figuring I would take my chances at making it at home.

On this next attempt, I was much more prepared. I bought distilled water, lemon juice, '0' capsules, a coffee grinder and coffee filter. I used the coffee grinder to grind up the Syrian Rue which I then placed into the capsules. The 3g I had weighed out fit nicely into 11 capsules. At home my mom had measuring equipment so I measured out a 7:3 ratio of water:lemon juice and once again used the double-boiler method. This time I had weighed out 20g of the Mimosa instead of 12g. I figured in the end I would split it into two doses, and if the first one didn't work well for whatever reason, I would have the second one ready to go.

I waited one night till my mom was asleep and got to work. Luckily she didn't wake up through the entire process. This time instead of using the shirt as a filter, I used the permanent coffee filter I had bought which was much more effective. I kept the filtered liquid separate, and put back the filtered solid into the pot, this time adding less water and less lemon juice, while maintaining the 7:3 ratio. I repeated the heating, stirring, filtering process for a couple hours although many people do it for much longer, I simply couldn't afford to do so. Finally after filtering it again, I combined the two liquid extracts I made into a container and put it in the freezer. I put all of the filtered sediment into a container which I stashed elsewhere for perhaps future use. I decided that the next night after my mom would go to sleep would be when I would try consuming it again.

The next night, to try and reduce the nausea, at around 8 pm, I ate a bowl of rice. I had also bought mixed mint leaves which I read if you shove it up your nose, it makes the taste of the Mimosa much more bearable as well as reducing the nausea. I also used it to chew on to try and get the taste out of my mouth in between sips. This time, thanks to measuring and more efficient boiling/simmering I had much less liquid to drink as well. In retrospect I probably took too many precautions to reduce the nausea which would come back to bite me in the ass later.

I took the Mimosa mix out of the freezer to let it thaw into three layers. I scraped the top grayish layer off with paper towel, and poured the red liquid into two cups, disposing of the dark crap on the bottom. I took a spoonful of sugar and mixed it into one of the cups. At around 11:30 or so, I easily swallowed the 11 capsules filled with the Syrian Rue, and my brother and I went back out on the porch to smoke a bowl of weed. We are almost never this reckless as it is very out in the open, but I didn't want to have to walk far, thinking it might increase the nausea.

Just as we were about done with the bowl, and I was about to start drinking the Ayahuasca, my mom walked out. I quickly stashed the bowl in my pocket, but she clearly smelled it. It was the first time I was being caught or even confronted about the issue, and it was right before I was to consume my beloved liquid magic nonetheless! We denied everything, though clearly she didn't believe it. She went back in, and we waited for her to go back to sleep as we were sure was imminent being as she had complained all day of how exhausted she was. It took her some considerable time to finally get back into bed, but it was pretty late and expecting the trip to last for several hours, I knew it was now or never.

The time was 12:20, I was downstairs in my brother's room (AKA the basement), and I had inserted the mint leaves up my nostrils. I was very nervous, feeling absolutely no effects from the rue at all, as I had the previous time, yet counterintuitively even more nervous because I was relatively confident this might actually work! With the mint in my nose I was able to taste very little Ayahuasca at all. It tasted pretty neutral. I sat patiently, careful not to get up before I either had to absolutely make it to the bathroom to puke, or at least until I was able to perceive some effects.

As I sat, nervously and anxiously anticipating the future, leaving the mint up my nose, I watched TV with my brother. We were able to find nothing on the television with the exception of Futurama. It was the episode where Leela becomes the first female blernsball player. The third line that we heard when we put the show on was Fry saying, 'Aww, don't cry foreign people. I used to work in a pizzeria and as soon as I stop hallucinating and blasting puke, I'm gonna teach you to sell pizza - Earth style!' Both my brother and I were in complete awe and shock at what we had just heard, and how incredulously divine and coincidental that he should say that as I sit in wait myself, waiting to puke and hallucinate!

Eventually we turned the TV off and I had him put on the Hendrix song 'Third Stone from the Sun'. I had actually never heard it, but it was recommended to me as a trippy song, so I kept it in mind not to listen to it till the next time I tripped (being this time). Things were starting to look different, but at first I was quite unsure just what was different. Colors may have been starting to get a bit more vibrant, but nothing terribly noticeable. The first real perceivable change in visuals I experienced was that as I stared at my brother's royal blue carpet, the fibers in the carpet began rearranging themselves into subtle patterns, reminiscent of how they might on acid. I was beginning to feel slightly nauseous, but it didn't seem like my body was ready to puke, just an uncomfortable queasiness.

I made my way upstairs, and was just looking around to try and see how things might be different. I decided that playing guitar might be a good idea so I went up to my room, sat down at my computer chair with my unplugged electric guitar, and began jamming away. It was pretty fun for a few minutes, and I remember liking the sound and the groove, but I began to grow pretty weak pretty quickly to the point where it was too much of a hassle to support the guitar, and I was forced to put it back on its stand.

Everything in my room looked pretty cool in some subtle trippy way. These visual distortions seemed to be more organic and smooth. Closer to shrooms than acid in that respect, yet not close to as exaggerated. I decided that since I was growing weaker by the minute, I might as well put on my headphones and listen to some music from my computer. I remember listening to close to three songs, and while I can't remember them all, they all seemed to be greatly enhanced. The first one (and the only one I can remember listening to) was a video on youtube of Queen back from 1977 when they had a show in Houston and played 'White Man' leading into a very trippy Freddie Mercury vocal improv. For those of you who want to hear possibly the trippiest thing you'll ever hear, bearing in mind no digital effects or technology were used, I highly recommend looking into this video, despite the rather outlandish costume Freddie sports.

I looked away from the video as I listened to the music as a sort of mental exercise I like to play while tripping where I will close my eyes and try to visualize what the music looks like visually as I try to incite synesthesia. I went back downstairs to the basement where my brother was. At this point, standing up was starting to become difficult, as I staggered around. The nausea was growing stronger, but it still didn't seem like I was gonna be able to puke. I decided I might try and expedite the process some by forcing myself. I was able to get a little bit up, nothing really, and certainly nothing compared to the time I puked on my first failed attempt.

My brother and I decided to go smoke another bowl, hoping that the weed might just get rid of the nausea altogether. This time we were more clever in where we went to smoke outside. Walking there seemed to be a real pain, and the walk back was even harder. I was starting to grow incredibly sleepy which was frustrating because based on the visuals I was having, it was growing quite clear that sleep was truly nowhere in sight.

At this point in time, the house was subtly coming to life, and everything began taking on a slight buzzing quality. Not so much a buzzing sound as I know commonly accompanies DMT trips, but rather it was like everything was crackling with energy. I was beginning to get some distinct closed-eye visuals. The colors were deep colors, predominated by reds and purples. The patterns were strikingly familiar, and seemingly sinister. They were not like patterns I had seen on shrooms, acid, or salvia. They may have born a slight resemblance to ones I had seen when I smoked DMT for the second time and closed my eyes, but those were much more highly detailed with brighter, more vivid colors, and just of a different quality altogether. These patterns reminded me of some crazy ones you'd see on a jester's clothing, and throughout the experience, it sometimes seemed like I was looking at an open mouth with a big tongue flopping out. Not like a real mouth and a real tongue, but the patterns configured as such.

If I would open my eyes, the patterns would linger a bit, but eventually be dominated by the visual buzzing. I was still a bit queasy which was growing ever frustrating along with the gradual loss of control over my body. At no point in the experience did I have an out of body experience, but rather lack of control, like an infant who didn't quite have the muscle memory to use its limbs effectively. I watched a couple episodes of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' in an attempt to lighten to the mood, as well as hopefully fall asleep, as the current state was uncomfortable. Unlike the smoked DMT, this Ayahuasca offered no direct euphoria, only wonder and awe at some of the beauty of my surroundings. The closed-eye visuals also grew a bit disturbing, also making sleep unobtainable.

I got up to drink some water, and as I would move the cup away from my mouth, I would see a trailing image of the cup going down to the table. Even the trailers would maintain the buzzing quality. After watching a couple episodes in the living room, I tried to make my way upstairs. It was too difficult to do the old fashioned way (with just your legs) as I was forced to use my fists on the stairs, walking up on all-fours. When I got to the stairs I was unable to stand up, and decided that the only way I was going to get to my room was if I were to crawl there. Talk about feeling like an infant! As I got through my door I collapsed, unable to gather the will to even shut my door to hide my sprawled out body on the floor.

Eventually after several moments of rest, I got up shut the door and fell into bed. Sleepy as could be, weak as could be, nauseous and hallucinating, I laid uncomfortably in bed for a few minutes. For some reason, even though I was having the hardest time moving around, walking was all I was compelled to do. Eventually my brother went to sleep as I spent the next several hours watching Always Sunny and staggering lifelessly like a zombie around my house. I was texting some friends of mine about how the experience was going, and one of my friends who lives a couple towns away, decided to come over and smoke. I wanted to smoke because I believed cannabis might reduce the DMT's effects.

By the time he got to my house, he showed up with his little brother rather loudly in his Porche at around 5:30 in the morning. It was starting to get light out, though still no sign of the sun. Outdoors looked somewhat enchanting. I was starting to regain energy and felt like I had been through the bulk of the experience. I lead them over to my usual smoking spot, and we passed around my bowl. His little brother was all fucked up on Xanax, so he was staggering around thinking he was so fucked up. I've been there, and based on where I had just been, I knew that the high he was riding was like a kiddy ride.

They wanted some cigarettes, but were too young to buy for themselves, so we walked to the gas station around the corner but it was closed. Luckily the one right down the street from there was open, and I bought the cigarettes for them. As we walked down the street, I was able to see the sunrise, and it was beautiful. The leaves on the trees through which the deep orange beams of light shone through took on diamond and rhombus like shapes, though not like the vivid interlocking rhomboids of light I had seen during my first smoked experience with DMT.

I got back to my house and we chatted outside for a bit. I pretty much figured the trip was over as it was now close to 7 in the morning, and I had been tripping for a good six and a half hours or so. I told them I was just gonna head to sleep, but I really just wanted to go on my back porch and epitomize on the sunrise with the mild trippiness that was left in my vision. As I sat on the chair, I began to grow increasingly nauseous. As I stared at my porch, it began bugging out, constantly shifting in size. This was making me even more nauseous. I stood up and went upstairs to bed again to try sleep one last time. I laid in bed with my eyes open, staring at the wall about half a foot away from my face. I could tell it was slightly distorted, and the nausea persisted.

What happened next at around the seventh hour of tripping, ever nauseous, as I laid still in my bed made the previous hours of hell well worth it. I began to hear a voice in my head that I initially interpreted as my own internal narrative (that voice, my voice, that psycho-verbally narrates my thoughts throughout the day), except this wasn't my voice, and it wasn't making much sense. It was a very fruity, high-pitched, male voice. I don't know why I perceived it as male, but that's just how it was interpreted. I should make it clear that it didn't seem like I was hearing the voice with my ears as a true audio hallucination, but rather like vividly possessed thoughts.

The voice seemed to be in like a weird 5 part harmony, but not with pitches that we would considered to be a part of western music. The 50 or so voices were singing homorhythmically, meaning that all their syllables were the same, but they would be on different, ever shifting pitches. They were singing about complete nonsense: utter gibberish. The words were real words, and the sentences were actually pretty close if not perfectly grammatically correct, if I can remember well, but it was like random, useless information.

I had my eyes open for most of this part of the experience, though as the harmonious voices continued to flamboyantly sing, they would create corresponding patterns in my mind's eye. If I closed my eyes, I could still see the patterns I had been seeing all night, but that's not what I'm talking about. These were different, and they were actually visible before my eyes, merely as much a part of the imagination as the voices. As they blabbered away, the nausea intensified at an accelerating rate. It finally became clear that I would be able to puke up everything I had been storing in my stomach (including the rice from much earlier) for the past 11 hours or so. I got out of bed, went down stairs, pleasantly dry heaving as I made my way down the stairs. I got to the bathroom, and finally, like the first time, I had several gut wrenching convulsions, expelling the Ayahuasca, rice and mint leaves.

Once I initially thought it was over, before hearing the voices, I should have known better as I had read many an experience where the trip seemed to be over, only to come back full force. Between the 7th and 8th hour, I came down to baseline, watching some Always Sunny to keep me in a happy mood. By the start of the eighth hour after the start of the trip, I was completely done. I had heard that the trip could last 4-8 hours, but I hadn't expected that I would experience the upper limits of that range. I was delighted afterwards knowing that I was successful in creating for myself, something so psychedelic, though I wish the experience would have been both more visual and euphoric.

If I ever try Ayahuasca again, I'll be trying the Caapi/Psychotria combination for less nausea, and a hopefully more pleasant experience. I look forward to returning to college where I will have the patience and time to make some smokeable crystals for what I hope to be much more pleasant experiences.

All in all, I don't regret the decision to do the experience at all, despite the sometimes extreme discomfort and frustration felt throughout, as I felt it made me mentally stronger, and I felt like it emotionally healed me in some unexplainable way. In the middle of the trip I dumped the other dose, as I didn't feel comfortable subjecting anyone I knew to what I had just gone through, and didn't feel like doing it again any time soon.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 86073
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: 21
Published: Jul 8, 2010Views: 22,672
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Mimosa tenuiflora (74), Syrian Rue (45), Huasca Combo (269) : Small Group (2-9) (17), Entities / Beings (37), Difficult Experiences (5)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults