Review Erowid at
Help us reach 20 reviews in 2018! And spread the word that accurate info about psychedelics and other drugs improves health, culture, and policies.
Chronic Pain Management
Hydrocodone & Cannabis
by Grendel
Citation:   Grendel. "Chronic Pain Management: An Experience with Hydrocodone & Cannabis (exp58902)". Mar 4, 2009.

smoked Cannabis
    oral Hydrocodone

I have chronic joint pain all over, at least partly due to osteoarthritis, and a crippled arm from an old accident. Now in my 40's, I know I'm going to be in pain every day for the rest of my life. At night, it's typically around a 5-7 on the common 0-10 scale. Somewhat better during the day, except in bad weather.

Vicodin will bring the pain down 2-3 'points'. Lower strength non-opiates don't even touch it anymore. Winter often gets bad enough I have to double-up on the dosage, which scares me. Opiates eventually lose effectiveness, and you have to change to stronger ones at increasingly higher doses, with a very real risk of physical addiction. Not to mention what all the acetaminophen in Vicodin is doing to my liver (3 grams a day!).

I'd smoked plenty of pot in my younger days, but had trouble keeping it under control so had to give it up. These days it seemed I had a lot less to lose and I gave it another try. To my surprise, 3 tokes from a bowl will knock 4-5 points off my pain, easily outperforming even a 15mg double-dose of Vicodin. Relief lasts about 3 hours, verses 4 hours for the Vicodin. Plus Vicodin takes an hour to build up, while pot's working in a few minutes.

This small dose of pot leaves me less mentally affected than the Vicodin does, and in a much more pleasant direction (even so, I don't drive after smoking, or while double-dosed on Vicodin). It's also had a dramatic effect on our sex life, making my wife happier as well as me. I have trouble climaxing on opiates, and was usually in too much pain without them to be interested in sex, a nasty Catch-22 that was really hurting us.

It's insane that I could go to jail for possessing an ounce of marijuana, yet can legally buy a bottle of 120 Vicodin every month (far more than enough to be fatal). Crazy world.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 58902
Published: Mar 4, 2009Views: 15,956
Hydrocodone (111), Cannabis (1) : Health Benefits (32), Sex Discussion (14), Medical Use (47), Various (28)