Have Psychedelics Changed Your Beliefs
about Death or Dying?
Take this Johns Hopkins Survey about your experience.
Tales of the Friend
Yerba Mate
by Anonymous
Citation:   Anonymous. "Tales of the Friend: An Experience with Yerba Mate (exp53186)". Erowid.org. Jun 14, 2006. erowid.org/exp/53186

oral Yerba Mate (tea)
  6 hits smoked Yerba Mate (dried)

I have been trying a lot of the so called 'marijuana alternatives' lately, searching for a legal relaxing herb easily attainable through health stores or the internet, I found a few at my local organic food store, Yerba was one of those. I initially had made a cup of tea with it, and noticed a very light relaxation, I didnít really notice the mad bouts of energy most commonly associated with this plant.

Anyway, I recently came back to my stash of Yerba and decided hey, why not give the smoke a try. So I packed a pinch into my little one hitter, and lit up, I noticed the smoke was quite harsh, not too bad, itís fine if I just inhale slowly. I could feel a light head rush upon exhale, and I felt relaxation overcome my body as well. I proceeded to continue smoking this, perhaps 6-7 more hits. It was a really pleasant relaxing high, I felt a bit lighter, laughing at stupid stuff, not unlike a light marijuana high. I then went and turned on the television, some story about the golden gate bridge was on, and I was really into it, I could focus very well, follow the story, my mental abilities I felt where much greater when under the influence of Yerba. I was quite happy about this. I went into the kitchen, and decided to make a cup of tea out of it. I went back to the TV, and drank it, this got me quite stoned. I was quite shocked that this stuff was garnishing a high of this magnitude.

Anyway, it was a good experience and I look forward to using this many times in the future.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 53186
Published: Jun 14, 2006Views: 13,430
Yerba Mate (282) : Glowing Experiences (4), Retrospective / Summary (11), Alone (16)