Stunning Huichol Yarn Art
Donate $500 and get a beautiful Huichol yarn painting, hand
made by Huichol artists in Mexico. Proceeds go to the artists!
They make fabulous gifts! (12 & 24 inch pieces available.)
For Sore Throats and Colds
Ginger
by shruming human
Citation:   Shruming Human. "For Sore Throats and Colds: An Experience with Ginger (exp39206)". Erowid.org. Dec 28, 2004. erowid.org/exp/39206

author logo
  oral Ginger (fresh)

I learned to chew on a slice of raw ginger root when I have a sore throat. It is very strong, but I have seen it help my throat many times. The first time I tried Ginger for a cold, I was supposed to go camping with friends the next morning, and I could tell that I was starting to get sick. Listening to the advice of my wife, I made around 3 liters of strong tea using about 8 to 10 inches of ginger root, and drank half of it that night, the rest the next morning. By the time I had finished the tea, I was completely better. I didn't put anything in the tea but the ginger, although honey and lemon are good additions. In East Asian philosophy, ginger is a warming herb, and it works well on winter colds especially (as they are often caused by an excess of cold in the body), although I have used it in the summer with good effect as well.

For sore throats, I now usually chew on the root itself, since the juice runs down my throat slowly over the course of several hours. I highly recommend this for pot smokers, since the ginger soothes the throat's irritation from the smoke.

Not for people with weak stomachs, and since having a cold can be trying on some people's stomachs, be careful.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 39206
Published: Dec 28, 2004Views: 27,962
Ginger (177) : Health Benefits (32), Unknown Context (20)