Erowid is a Global Information Resource
Honing My Recipe
Ayahuasca (B. caapi & P. viridis)
by The Wizard
Citation:   The Wizard. "Honing My Recipe: An Experience with Ayahuasca (B. caapi & P. viridis) (exp37069)". Erowid.org. Sep 30, 2004. erowid.org/exp/37069

oral Banisteriopsis caapi (tea)
    oral Psychotria viridis (tea)

The Ayahuasca Experiments
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First of all let me state that I am interested in the exploration of consciousness, spiritual growth and healing. I am not interested in tripping or getting high.

My interest in Ayahuasca started around New Year 2000 when I was on a trip to South America and I came across it. Unfortunately my attempts at having Ayahuasca in Peru were unsuccessful due to the only "real" shaman we found after days of looking being drunk and very anti-western. Since then I have kept a look out for Ayahuasca--much to my delight I have found a supply of all the ingredients I could ever want.

My experiments are aimed at have a traditional Ayahuasca experience. For this reason I choose the most traditional mixture. I was very cautious about dosage due to everything I read about Ayahuasca being so strong. Please note: Ayahuasca is the name of the vine Banisteriopsis Caapi as well as of the drink made from the vine and admixtures such as Psychotria Viridis

Recipe:

Ingredients:
Dried Banisteriopsis Caapi (Ayahuasca) Black vine, Shipibo-Conibo, Peru
Dried Psychotria Viridis (Chacruna) Puccallpa, Peru

Dosage:
Based on extensive research. I decided to base my dose calculations on Jonathan Ott's Ayahuasca Analogues: http://www.serendipity.li/dmt/hoasca.html
Verified on: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ayahuasca/ayahuasca_info8.shtml

Body Weight 68 kg
Potion (1):
Banisteriopsis Caapi 15 grams
Psychotria Viridis 34 grams

Results (1):
Failed. No Effects. Single purge. Something wrong. Assumption: Dosage is too low.
Potion (2):
Banisteriopsis Caapi 30 grams
Psychotria Viridis 70 grams

Results (2):
Failed. No effects except some Nausea. No purge. Assumption: Dosage wrong again.
Potion (3):
Banisteriopsis Caapi 70 grams
Psychotria Viridis 70 grams

Potion (3) Results:
Failed. B. Caapi went off because I decided to soak it in water with lemon juice for a few days before brewing. You can smell it was bad. It gives you this feeling of wanted to puke just smelling it.
Potion (4):
Banisteriopsis Caapi 100 grams (Red, Equador)
Psychotria Viridis 100 grams

Potion (4) Results:
Success: Good strong purging. No psychedelic effects for two hours and then mild effects for 3 hours. The effects include:
- Mild C.E.H. (closed eye hallucinations)
- Slight buzzing sound which was irritating
- Feeling of energy �field� in my body
- Slightly altered thoughts, colours and perception
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conclusion:
I am no where near the level of mystical experience. I have decided to change my DMT source to M. hostilis or D. cabrerana. Both are used in South America so can still be considered traditional admixtures although less common than P. viridis.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 37069
Published: Sep 30, 2004Views: 48,260
Psychotria viridis (170), Banisteriopsis caapi (169), Ayahuasca (8) : Unknown Context (20), Preparation / Recipes (30), Retrospective / Summary (11)