Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
Don't Smoke It!
Valerian
by Jason
Citation:   Jason. "Don't Smoke It!: An Experience with Valerian (exp32854)". Erowid.org. Apr 22, 2004. erowid.org/exp/32854

2 bowls smoked Valerian (ground / crushed)

Last night, I decided to try smoking valerian root based on the relatively small number of reports I have read about using this method of intake. The valerian root I used was in powdered form and was emptied out of a 1,600 mg capsule. The bottle indicated that the capsules contained absolutely no additives whatsoever, just pure valerian.

I filled a small bowl with the valerian powder (which smelled rather pungent) and sat down, ready for experimentation. As I drew the flame through the powder, my lungs were filled with a very harsh and bad-tasting smoke, which I couldn’t hold in for more than 5 seconds. I instantly coughed out the hit, despite the fact that I smoke marijuana habitually (just about every day).

Just to warn you, the smoke smells terrible and one hit can almost instantly stink up an entire room. I took another hit, this time noticing that the valerian pretty much smoldered instead of burning cleanly. This hit was smaller and I was able to hold it in for a while. The bowl was finished and after 5 minutes I was feeling nothing, so I decided to smoke another bowl.

The second bowl was bigger (even though I never finished it), and I was able to hold in two more good-sized hits. After finishing the last hit I became slightly lightheaded (probably from the inhalation of such harsh smoke), and decided to stop smoking the nasty substance. I felt a very slight amount of relaxation, but I have decided that this was probably a placebo-type effect. I fell asleep about 30 minutes later, at my usual bedtime.

Overall, I do not suggest smoking valerian root. In my opinion, valerian is best taken orally, as it is intended to be. I have achieved great results by orally taking one or two of the 1,600 mg capsules used in this experiment and suggest this to anyone looking to achieve mild relaxation/sedation or a better night’s sleep.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 32854
Published: Apr 22, 2004Views: 96,622
Valerian (48) : General (1), Alone (16)