Citation: Anonymous. "Morning Glory Notes: An Experience with Morning Glory Seeds (exp2063)". Erowid.org. Jun 24, 2000. erowid.org/exp/2063
The following is a collection of my experiments with Morning Glory seeds.
I read many bits about morning glory seeds on the net and so I decided to check into the high myself. I ordered 2 ounces ($12) of Heavenly Blues from Redwood City Seed Company. I know they came untreated because there were some tiny rocks mixed in with the seeds.
I decided to get a sample of the effect (and to sort of baseline strength) so I ground up 25 seeds and down it went. Interestingly enough, 25 seeds fit very nicely into a 500mg capsule. I felt some mild effects, tense stomach, a very slight strangeness, mild sensitivity to room temperature, and a little drowsiness. So the next week I thought I would try 100 seeds.
I took 1 Dramamine 30 minutes before ingesting 100 seeds which were nicely packed into 4 capsules. After about 1.5 hours the effects started to come on. I felt very tired and took a short 30 minute nap. When I awoke I was still feeling tired and lethargic, but the effects of the glories were still with me. The next 5 hours I was very lazy, food tasted funny, and no visuals. My vision was somewhat funny, sort of fisheyed. Everything seemed to be at a distance (neither enjoyable or unenjoyable). After about 4 hours I started to get some very intense gas and that is when I think I was peaking. The feeling was like being on mushrooms but with out the comfortable euphoric feeling. Not something I would desire again thought it wasn't terrible.
My next step would be to attempt the extraction which is documented in the Morning Glory FAQ. So I took 700 seeds and ground them up into a power in my coffee grinder. (700 seeds = approximately 1.5oz) I thought I had ground the substance well, but as I discovered later, the husks don't grind very easily. I then put MG powder into a small glass container and decided that I would use starting fluid as my first solvent. I found a starting fluid that was Heptain, Diethyl Ether and Hexane. After reading the Solvent FAQ I decided that this would be an acceptable substitute. I sprayed the starting fluid into a container to capture and contain it. I then poured it into my container holding the ground seeds (a small glass jar). I let it soak for 45 minutes then I filtered out the ground seeds (using a coffee filter) and let it dry. Next I used EverClear (150 proof) as my alcohol solvent. I mixed the ground seeds with 4 shots of alcohol and let this mixture soak for 4 days. I made sure I shook the container twice a day at least. On the 5th day I took a syringe and used it to extract the clear alcohol from the container. I figured this was easier than trying to filter it all.
I then took the remaining glop (plus a small amount of alcohol which was left) and filtered it through a coffee filter. I got about 3/4 a shot out of it. I saved this and figured I would try this to check strength. After ingesting the 3/4 shot (will definitely not win any taste awards) I sat back and waited for the effects.
After about 15 minutes I felt different. After 1 hour I was feeling quite a bit different, much like being on shrooms. After 3 hours I was peaking and the effect was very similar to a mild dose of shrooms--though, minus the pleasant visuals. No nausea, no blurry vision, and generally a very nice feeling. Much like a weak mushroom experience. I have about 3 full shots left and I figure that 1 and half shot should provide a nice trip. 3 shots should provide an 'experience'.
Conclusion? Well, for one, the Morning Glory FAQ extraction technique does work. Is it worth it? Hard to say, my 3 shots probably cost me $25 and should give me and a friend a nice trip. Given that shrooms aren't available in my area this is a fun exercise. The extraction definantly beats taking the seeds raw, in fact I wouldn't recommend it any other way. I have been wondering if letting the mixture (my 3 shots of MG extraction) could be evaporated into just a powdery substance. If this would be possible I could reduce all my work into something that would be easy to ingest. I decided to forgo this step and just evaporate my magical mixture until I had about 1 shot of magic alcohol.
Note: If I was to do this all over again, I would look for a starting fluid that consisted of just Diethyl Ether as the other additives of the starting fluid seemed to leave an unpleasant aftertaste to my final mixture. Also, I would grind the seeds even more than I had so that the husks would be pulverized more. In the final mixture, there were too many large chunks of seeds--somewhat the consistence of ground pepper. A finer powder would probably yield more magic, but be more difficult to filter.
COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.