Follow @Erowid on Instagram!
Abuse Causes Long-term Insomnia
GHB
by Andrew
Citation:   Andrew. "Abuse Causes Long-term Insomnia: An Experience with GHB (exp13866)". Erowid.org. Nov 9, 2005. erowid.org/exp/13866

repeated oral GHB (liquid)

I first started taking GHB a few years ago, but only drank it on the nights I went out. It was really fun to use in clubs and I saw no side effects for a long time. I would also use it sometimes to put me asleep, I never had a sleep problem, but it was nice to use when I wanted to go to sleep early for a long night's rest. Then I saw myself taking it every night. I took about 8 caps one night (not all at once) and couldnít sleep, I was having bad withdrawals, my symptoms were jitters, stress, heart palputations, and a BAD case of insomnia. In fact, I went six days straight without sleep, until I got my hands on some valiums. The insomnia lasted about six weeks with the help of melatonins. Tylenol PMs would give me about 2 hours of sleep.

After about 2 weeks that the insomnia was gone, I took a little G and the insomnia came back, it lasted a month. But I still didnít learn my lesson, so I took a six month break from taking it, and got away with it for about 5 nights, this case was the longest, 2 months of taking sleeping pills, my doctor gave me tamazapans. They work well but my racquetball game sucked the whole time. I took another six months off of it and thought maybe I can get away with it once a week, the 3rd time I took it, back to the insomnia today. I know that this is called the dopamine rebound, and the brain gets flooded with dopamine causing no sleep. Therefore I donít think I can ever take it again and I would like to take some just occasionally.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 13866
Published: Nov 9, 2005Views: 11,589
GHB (25) : Addiction & Habituation (10), Post Trip Problems (8), Health Problems (27), Not Applicable (38)