Erowid - Honest Global Drug Information
Doing it South African Style
Methaqualone & Cannabis
by Zyn
Citation:   Zyn. "Doing it South African Style: An Experience with Methaqualone & Cannabis (exp113919)". Erowid.org. Jul 16, 2020. erowid.org/exp/113919

smoked Cannabis
    smoked Methaqualone

Considering the rarity of this substance, I decided to write an experience report. Prior experiences with drugs (in no particular order) are: Cannabis, Alcohol, CBD, Oxycodone, LSD, MDA, MDMA, Amphetamine, Dextroamphetamine, Methamphetamine, Cocaine, Kratom, Kava, Phenibut, Xanax, Magic Mushrooms, DMT, DXM, Diphenhydramine, MXE, Ketamine, K2, Hydrocodone, Computer Duster, Codeine, N-Acetylcysteine, 5-HTP, Mitragyna Javanica (Kratom substitute), St. John's Wort, Crack Cocaine, and Heroin. Thatís 31 different drugs in case you donít feel like counting.

0:00 Loaded my bong with Cannabis then poured a healthy sprinkling of Methaqualone powder on top, similar to how they do it in SA. Lit it and inhaled, noticed a distinct chemical taste in addition to the normal taste of cannabis.

0:03 Slight disassociation was noticed on top of the usual effects of Cannabis, not too bad

0:05 Loaded my bong with more cannabis and methaqualone after letting my little brother take a good hit. The dissociative effects grow more powerful.

0:10 I feel incredibly euphoric, yet sleepy. My breathing has slowed down a good bit. At this point, I feel all my inhibitions melt away.

0:15 We finish off the rest of the methaqualone. I notice that me and my brother are slurring our words when we speak, a common sign of intoxication on anti-anxiety drugs. I feel like a thousand-year-old man. We then head inside and relax.

0:30 Still feeling great, I feel an extreme sense of calmness overtake my mind. Weed makes my brain rush, but the methaqualone makes me feel like everything has slowed down. I notice myself bumping into more objects, but overall, my motor control is still fine. Iím still feeling pretty tired

0:32 Iím basically glued to my bed at this point. No sense in trying to get me up. My body feels like itís made out of gelatin. KYUSS has never sounded better.

1:00 I feel the methaqualone start to wear off, but Iím still feeling extremely relaxed.

1:30 Nearing the end of my experience with methaqualone. The weed has mostly taken over, but I still feel somewhat euphoric

2:00 The methaqualone has worked its way out of my system, and Iím barely feeling the high from the weed.

My Reflection:

Overall, this drug seems to be fairly similar to other depressants. I had expected it to hit me like a train after watching Vicelandís documentary on Quaaludes (aka Mandrax) in South Africa. But hey, it was still a hell of a good time. I think I could definitely find a stronger batch if I were in South Africa and not Alabama. I curse the US government for making this substance nearly impossible to find.

After this experience was over, I was constipated. I know it was caused by methaqualone because I am a heavy nicotine user, and nicotine is a diuretic.

I feel sad that I wasnít alive when methaqualone was popular in the US, but I also realize that Iím extremely fortunate to find it. If I were to do this again, Iíd also drink some alcohol as well to make the effects of the methaqualone stronger. After this experience, I am now wondering if I could crush Xanax or other anti-anxiety drugs and sprinkle it on top of weed.

Exp Year: 2019ExpID: 113919
Published: Jul 16, 2020Views: 1,576
Methaqualone (218) : Combinations (3), Small Group (2-9) (17)