Horizons: Perspectives on Psychedelics - Oct 5-7
An event in New York City that examines the role of psychedelic drugs
and plant medicines in science, medicine, culture and spirituality.
Slowly Titrated Down
Cannabis (for Fentanyl withdrawal)
by Glenn
Citation:   Glenn. "Slowly Titrated Down: An Experience with Cannabis (for Fentanyl withdrawal) (exp107506)". Erowid.org. Jan 18, 2016. erowid.org/exp/107506

transdermal Pharms - Fentanyl (patch)
    oral Cannabis (cookie / food)
    oral Cannabis (liquid)

Withdrawal From Fentanyl Patch

I was on the fentanyl patch for over 11 years maximizing at 100 mg/h for about 8 years. This was for severe arthritis and AS pain. The dose is supposed to last 3 days but I continually experienced withdrawal at about 1 day maybe 18 hours. My G.P. allowed one patch every two days. My life was run by the fentanyl - good day with the new patch, lousy day the next day. My wife could look at me - eyes, facial expression and tell whether it was a patch day or not. I hated the substance with ever-increasing anger.

My rheumatologist in frustration suggested I try medical marijuana to help with withdrawal. I joined a Compassion Society* and chose to eat the marijuana in a caramel form where the CBD / THC ratio is about 55 / 45. The caramels weighed approximately 6 grams and I cut these into three pieces to cover a day or as needed. I also used a mouth spray for quicker action.

I started this treatment in February 2015 and was happily completely off the fentanyl at the beginning of November 2015. The marijuana worked absolute wonders as I slowly titrated down ... all advice I received said “go slowly, slowly” so I did go slowly. With a bit more effort I estimated I could have eliminated the fentanyl in less than six months.

Simply I recommend never start on the fentanyl patch (period).

* I live in Canada where marijuana is virtually illegal but, of course, wide spread.

Exp Year: 2015ExpID: 107506
Published: Jan 18, 2016Views: 2,452
Pharms - Fentanyl (223), Cannabis (1) : Addiction & Habituation (10), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Medical Use (47), Various (28)