Erowid - Honest Global Drug Information
We're an educational non-profit working to provide a balanced, honest look at
psychoactive drugs and drug use--to reduce harms, improve benefits, & support
reasonable policies. This work is made possible by $10, $50, & $100 donations.
Slowed Down, Weighed Down
Kratom, Tranylcypromine, Levothyroxine, Clonazepam & Lithium
Citation:   mouse. "Slowed Down, Weighed Down: An Experience with Kratom, Tranylcypromine, Levothyroxine, Clonazepam & Lithium (exp106875)". Erowid.org. Oct 6, 2022. erowid.org/exp/106875

5 g oral Kratom (capsule)
  T+ 0:34 3 g oral Kratom (capsule)
  T+ 1:11 4 g oral Kratom (capsule)
  T+ 0:00 50 ug oral Pharms - Levothyroxine (daily)
  T+ 0:00 30 mg oral Pharms - Tranylcypromine (daily)
  T+ 0:00 1.5 mg oral Pharms - Clonazepam (daily)
  T+ 0:00 900 mg oral Pharms - Lithium (daily)
  T+ 0:00   oral Vitamins / Supplements (daily)
A Positive Experience

Iíve been really stressed out lately looking for work. I just got out of an interview this afternoon and decided I needed to do something to treat myself. Normally that would be cannabis, but part of getting these jobs is a drug test, so thatís out of the question. I was seriously considering buying some oxycodone, but if that went wrong and I got charged there goes my job chances too. So I decided on kratom.

I drove to a smoke shop in the nearest big city (before you say anything about the kratom for sale in smoke shops, this one in particular is known for its quality and unadulterated kratom). I had luck with kratom when I first tried it around 2012, so was hopeful this might be good. Earlier this week I had purchased ďbaliĒ kratom from the same shop and it didnít do much (dose was 4.5 grams). Today a fellow customer who was ďhere every day buying kratomĒ suggested the ďsuperior red dragonĒ strain as the only kind that he feels any effects from. Another fellow there with him said that this strain is more sedating, less energetic. So thatís what I purchased. The brand comes 50 capsules in a bottle, with each capsule containing 500 mg.

Background:

26 year old european-american male, 5í6Ē 159 lbs, mostly healthy except for obviously a tad overweight. Significant psychiatric disorders, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, celiac sprue, and hypothyroidism. Got 3 hours of sleep last night. Recent grad school drop-out (due to psychotic episode necessitating extended hospitalization). Living at home with parents.

Past recreational drug use: nitrous oxide, cannabis, alprazolam, oxycodone, hydrocodone, zolpidem. Donít drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.

Drugs taken today (therapeutically, not recreationally):
6 am: levothyroxine 50 mcg, trancylpromine 20 mg (a MAOI antidepressant), clonazepam 0.5 mg
12 pm: trancylpromine 10 mg
5 pm: clonazepam 1 mg, lithium 900 mg, multivitamin, vitamin D 1000 IU

Experience:

Mindset: stressed out from 2 hour drive to and from smoke shop in heavy traffic and interview right before that.

7:20 pm: 5 grams kratom consumed. Empty stomach - last meal was five and a half hours ago. Iím at a small strip-mall about 3 minutes from my house. I wouldnít ordinarily take drugs when Iím going to be driving, but Iím confident Iíll be home before the effects start.

7:37 pm: parking car at condo. Body feels heavy, especially head and legs. Even as Iím writing this the feeling is increasing. My mental capabilities seem unaffected, although I do have the desire to chat with a friend.

7:54 pm: Iím not impaired enough for my liking. 3 more grams kratom consumed.

8:11 pm: feeling a littleÖ slowed down. Weighed down. But altogether too normal for my liking. Urge to re-dose, but not sure I should.

8:31 pm: take 4 more grams, bringing my total to 12. Feeling rather dizzy. Hopefully not doing permanent damage to my liver or other organs.

9:59 pm: sorry, Iím being a bad reporter. I should have been writing more down but I got distracted. I feel amazing though. Iíve spent the past two hours talking with my parents and having a great time, and Iím usually very anti-social. Physically I feel mostly all right, a little dizzy and still sort of slowed down. When I walk I donít go in a straight line. My thinking is pretty clear. Mentally/emotionally there is the already-mentioned increased sociability and a noticeable but not extreme feeling of euphoria. After my earlier experiences this week with the bali I was about to give up on kratom, but I think Iíll be repeating this. And 12 grams seems like a good dose for me, but please donít start out at that dose if you are just using kratom for the first time. I seem to have a naturally high tolerance to most drugs. Heck, I donít know if 12 grams is ever safe, even with a tolerance.

10:17 pm: struggling to keep my eyes open. Was going to do some job-related stuff on the computer tonight, but I donít trust myself to do anything productive or important. Now Iím feeling a bit like I am when Iím on zolpidem -- my brain is kind of somewhere else. Wherever it is, itís a good place.

10:21 pm: reading about cannabis online (seemed like an appropriate activity for my current frame of mind) but I canít really focus. I feel so relaxed. Not tired exactly, more like that feeling I get when I am about to go under anesthesia, right before passing out.

10:43 pm: still playing around on the internet but really struggling to keep my eyes open. Hmm, now Iím reading about othersí reports of liver injury from kratom. This isnít a new idea to me, but being on the stuff at the moment makes it more scary. Especially because I already have liver problems, although they are in remission. Maybe I wonít do this again. Damn, why are all the good drugs bad for you?

10:55 pm: the effects are fading ever so slightly and Iím going to sign off for now and ponder my kratom use going forward. Hope this has been useful to someone.

Oh, one more thing to note: Iíve read many warnings about NEVER ever using kratom with MAOIs. Of course this is dangerous to generalize, but I wanted to add that in my experience up to 12 grams of kratom has had no noticeable ill effects (hyper/hypotension, serotonin syndrome, etc.) when combined with a medium dose of trancylpromine (Parnate). Kratom isnít standardized or regulated though, so I can imagine that even the same amount in grams could have varying levels of active ingredients. In my opinion it would still be good to be extremely cautious if combining kratom with any MAOI, and would always be safer to refrain entirely.

Exp Year: 2015ExpID: 106875
Published: Oct 6, 2022Views: 509
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Kratom (203), Pharms - Tranylcypromine (882) : Combinations (3), Alone (16)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.