I Saw the Spiderman
Sleep Deprivation
by Cityhunter
Citation:   Cityhunter. "I Saw the Spiderman: An Experience with Sleep Deprivation (exp10328)". Erowid.org. Mar 15, 2006. erowid.org/exp/10328

repeated oral Caffeine
    repeated smoked Tobacco - Cigarettes

My experience with sleep deprivation took place about 7 years ago. I was working as a night watchman at a hotel and for some strange reason I decided to help out a friend who was going out of town for a few days and mind his store during the day. For 5 days I worked at the hotel from 2:00 pm to 8:00 am and at my friends store from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, so I was working 21 hour a day! I drank coffee and smoked cigarettes all the time and dosed off maybe 10 minutes once in awhile.

The last night I was working was the worst, I started hallucinating. I was walking around to see if everything was okay, and I saw the Spiderman running across the hall (red and blue costume and everything). I followed him to investigate but there was nobody there. Later that night I thought there was a party going on in the kitchen (I heard party-noises), the damn cooks are drunk again, I thought and stormed in there to stop the party. There was nobody there and the lights were off and everything.

When I finished the morning after I had to drive 20 km across Icelandic country roads. I thought I was dying and I would never make it home but I did, luckily, and then I slept for 20 hours and woke up with a hangover. My friends didnīt believe me when I told them I had seen the Spiderman, I was probably could have died from sleep deprivation or fallen asleep at the wheel. The experience was uncomfortable and dangerous.

Exp Year: 1994ExpID: 10328
Published: Mar 15, 2006Views: 11,056
Sleep Deprivation (140) : Alone (16), Multi-Day Experience (13), Retrospective / Summary (11)