Voyages of the Soul: Trance, Ecstasy, and Healing: From Siberia to the Amazon
Pub Date :
Edition(s) at Erowid :
1995(pb,1st US ed,fine)
Little, Brown, and Co
BACK COVER #A richly illustrated guide to the whole world of shamanism, this book looks at both its historic and its present-day manifestations, from the snowscapes of Siberia to the jungles of the Amazon.
- Includes more than 250 illustrations, mostly in full colour, presenting a unique pictorial record of shamanism, with many previously unpublished photographs.
- Describes key themes such as healing, visions, initiation, cosmology, the shaman's drum, and mental health.
- Written by a leading world expert, based on a synthesis of many years of research and field work.
- Includes a detailed region-by-region survey of shamanism, with full-colour maps.
- Explores both spiritual and psychological aspects of the subject, as well as the relevance of shamanism to contemporary Western culture.
- Includes a directory of shamanic cultures