A Guide for Parents
Pub Date :
Edition(s) at Erowid :
BACK COVER #Illicit drugs are part of today's society. Many young people are using drugs such as cannabis, amphetamines, ecstasy, LSD and even heroin. Families that claim to be immune from the dangers of drug use do so at their peril.
For many parents and concerned others, watching their teenage years is a time of worry and anxiety, often intensified by a lack of knowledge and experience. Drugs were not part of the parents' experience as they were growing up, and consequently they have little understanding of their use and effects. One of the first steps in facing the possibility of illicit drug use is to become better informed, and Facing Drugs is a vital tool for anyone wishing to increase their knowledge and awareness.
Written in simple language it deals with the realities of drug use including:
- What causes people to use drugs.
- How these drugs work - physiologically and emotionally
- What illicit drugs are most commonly used in Australia
- The pros and cons of different treatments available
- What happens in counselling
- A list of services avialable in each state