Tuesday, September 7, 1999 Published at 18:11 GMT 19:11 UK
Warning after Internet overdose suicide
Nicotine information from the Internet was used in the suicide
A coroner voiced fears after hearing how a computer programmer committed suicide using a recipe for neat nicotine from the Internet.
In a note left on his computer, he said he was worried about his eyesight and had taken what he had thought would be a fatal nicotine overdose.
Subsequent tests on Mr Jones proved that he died of nicotine poisoning.
Powys coroner John Hollis recorded a verdict of suicide and said he was surprised a recipe for poisoning could be obtained so easily.
He said he was concerned about potential copycat incidents.
Mr Jones believed he had failing eyesight after looking at a partial eclipse a few years ago despite being given the all-clear after a medical check-up.
Police at Newtown said it was the first case of its kind they had dealt with, and highlighted the danger of misusing information off the Internet.
Chief Inspector Derek Richards said: "This is a classic example where people have this information freely available on the Internet and they misuse it for whatever reasons they might have."