Support accurate info and harm reduction.
Donate $50+ and get a Know Your DrugsData tee
A Narcoleptic's Take
Modafinil
by Craig
Citation:   Craig. "A Narcoleptic's Take: An Experience with Modafinil (exp97511)". Erowid.org. Sep 9, 2019. erowid.org/exp/97511

100 mg oral Modafinil

A Narcoleptic's Take on Modafinil

I'm male, 30 years old, married for ~7 years and have been sleeping or sleepy most waking days since high school. It's taken me this long to finally get around to doing a sleep study and seeing a specialist with the results. I now have a diagnosis for what I previously had thought was 'normal': mild narcolepsy.

Having a name to put to a daily tough-slog that everyone else is not experiencing is freeing. I'm not the lazy, useless person I often feel I am. Rather, I have a neurological condition that brings a mental fog over most of my waking days, causing my thoughts to need to travel through soup before reaching their strained conclusions in my head. Every day has been hard, and I didn't even know it!

Today at 9:30am I took my first 100mg dose of Modafinil. It took 35 minutes to kick in. I would describe the effect as it 'came on' as the fog gently receding from my mind. Within just a minute or two of the feeling being noticed, I became aware that my thoughts were suddenly clearer. I had a mental track of everything going on today. It was, in a word, wonderful!

I did not have euphoria, any kind of high, or anything pronounced at all.
I did not have euphoria, any kind of high, or anything pronounced at all.
Just mental clarity and a lack of my constant companion, drowsiness. Wonderful!

I'm writing this at 3:30pm, 6 hours after that 100mg dose. My drowsiness is returning and that mental fog is settling back into my mind. I think tomorrow, I'll take my first dose at 9am and a second 100mg tablet at midday. That will hopefully see me through to bedtime.

Some summary notes:
- I sleep approximately 9 hours a night regularly, from 10pm to 7am.
- I work from home running a mentally-demanding small business that provides technical services (meaning this drug may well be a God-send, going on today's experience).
- I've experienced daytime sleepiness and mental fog my entire adult life.
- I drink probably 3 standard drinks a month, do not smoke, and exercise regularly. I am physically fit and strong.
- Your mileage may vary, but thus far Modafinil has been perfect.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 97511
Published: Sep 9, 2019Views: 1,142
Modafinil (217) : First Times (2), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Medical Use (47), Workplace (51)