Citation: Edacious Hag. "Sonnets: An Experience with 25I-NBOMe (exp96534)". Erowid.org. Jun 19, 2012. erowid.org/exp/96534
| T+ 0:05
| T+ 0:15
| T+ 0:25
| T+ 4:00
I was delighted to have received a small vial of 2C-I-NBOMe in the mail the other day, which contained a small sample of the substance.
The fact that the NBOMe substances are active in the microgram range makes dosing far more challenging than other substances, and given the significant degree to which an experience can be amplified as a result of a fairly small difference in dose, it occurred to me that spending some time developing an accurate dosing strategy was going to be paramount to maintaining my safety and comfort. After doing so, I thought I’d share my strategy in detail for those that could use some guidance. The strategy that I developed makes up a significant part of this report, but I've described my first experience with this material toward the end.
There are quite a few accounts online of people dosing this material using nasal atomizers such as those used to administer OTC nasal decongestants like Oxymetazoline HCL. These devices are also used to administer saline nasal spray which is generally cheaper to purchase, and both of these products can typically be found at a local pharmacy. I happen to have one of these bottles on hand, so I washed it out thoroughly and let it dry. Here is a step by step, layman’s account of my method for dosing the NBOMe series psychedelics (for this experiment I am using 2C-I-NBOMe).
Suggestions and Caveats:
• As NBOMe series psychedelics are active in the microgram (mcg) range, I believe that they should be handled carefully. I would recommend gloves and a mask when handling these chemicals, or in the absence of wearing protection, handle them in still environments and wash hands and counters, scale etc. thoroughly afterwards.
• The following procedure requires an understanding of some very basic math. If carrying out the following mathematical steps is beyond your capability, I recommend finding a trusted friend who can carry out this procedure for you, or consider abandoning your plans to handle NBOMe series chemicals in powder form.
• I am not a scientist and don’t remember my high school chemistry teachings very well, so the following method isn’t intended to adhere to any scientific protocol. It is based only on what I believe to be my own good sense – follow this procedure at your own discretion.
Part 1: Calibration of the Nasal Spray Bottle
1. Using my teeth (pliers also work) I gently removed the spraying insert from the top of the bottle and put exactly 5ml of water into the bottle using a syringe. I replaced the spraying insert into the top of the bottle.
2. Using very steady, consistent pressure, I discharged the bottle into the air one spray at a time, counting the total number of sprays it took to completely discharge the contents. I counted aloud, and after every ten sprays I put a tick mark on a piece of paper to ensure I didn’t lose count. I repeated this procedure three times, taking the average number of all three trials. My results were 39, 40 and 40, resulting in an average of about 40 sprays after rounding.
Note: It is important to maintain consistent pressure when discharging the device, and pay attention to the manner in which you do this, as you will want to replicate this action when you dose the substance into your nose at a later time.
3. Now for some simple mathematics:
40 sprays / 5ml water = 8 sprays per ml.
Therefore one spray from my bottle administers approximately 1/8th of a ml of solution, or 0.125ml. It follows that if I dissolve 1mg of 2C-I-NBOMe into 1ml of water, my bottle will administer approximately 125mcg of the substance with each spray.
Note: If you happen to calibrate one bottle using the preceding method, I strongly recommend that you do not assume the resulting number will be valid for a 2nd similar bottle (say if you were preparing a dosing bottle for a friend). It’s prudent to repeat the calibration process for every bottle (as mundane as the procedure is) as these are cheaply made plastic bottles and not scientific instruments.
Part 2: Weighing the 2C-I-NBOMe
My scale is accurate to +/- 1mg, and many cheaper scales are only accurate to +/- 2mg. When measuring small quantities, such a variation can mean the difference between a good trip and a bad trip, therefore I prefer to use a fairly rigorous method of measuring my material to minimize the potential impact of the error deviation of my scale. For this experiment, I planned to dissolve 10mg of 2C-I-NBOMe into 10ml of solution. The more solution I prepare, the less concerning will be any deviation in my scale, i.e. 10mg +/- 1mg is considerably more accurate than 1mg +/- 1mg.
1. Place the scale on a secure, flat surface, free from vibration or excess movement of air. Calibrate the scale according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Before weighing the sample, measure and record the total weight of the vial or baggie of 2C-I-NBOMe. Repeat this procedure at least 3 times, taking the average of all trials (mine weighed 5.432g).
3. If you don’t have a measuring pan, you can always make one. I cut a small tear-drop shaped measuring pan out of tin-foil that weighs exactly 100mg, again, weighing at least three times to ensure accuracy (it should be about 1.5” dia). I bend up the point on the tear drop to serve as a handle.
4. Place the 100mg pan on the scale, tare the scale, and measure out 10mg of 2C-I-NBOMe. Check your result by removing the pan, tarying the scale and replacing the pan on the scale. The pan should now weigh 110mg, i.e.,
Pan weight (100mg) + Net weight (10mg of 2C-I-NBOMe) = Gross weight (110mg)
Repeat this process several times until you are confident that you have 10 mg of NBOMe on the tray.
5. Now I cross check my result by re-weighing the vial of material. The weight of the vial should now be the original weight of the vial, less 10mg, or 5.432g–0.010g = 5.422 g. In my case, this cross check procedure yields a confirming result. I now know with a high degree of certainty that my measured sample of 2C-I-NBOMe weighs very close to 10 mg.
Part 3: Preparing the Solution (1mg/ml)
1. My 2C-I-NBOMe sample proved to be fairly insoluble in water. Therefore, I used 9 ml of warm tap water, mixed with 1 ml of food grade alcohol, mixed together in a shot glass. Substituting 8 ml of warm water with 2 ml of vodka would likely be a near enough equivalent. The substance dissolved with a moderate amount of mixing.
2. I placed the resulting solution into the calibrated spray bottle and secured the lid.
3. I clearly labeled the bottle with an indelible marker to ensure no one would mistake it for nasal spray. I also labeled it with the concentration (i.e. 125 mics/spray). I’ve made these kinds of solutions before without writing down these details and put them on the shelf for a year or so, only to have totally forgotten the concentration when I return to use them. Forgetting this information renders the contents garbage … in my books anyway.
4. I store the container in a cool, dark, reasonably dry place, i.e. the refrigerator.
• If a friend is inclined to dose from your bottle, I’d suggest dosing the material for him or her, as the bottle has been calibrated using your personal degree of squeezing pressure, and he or she may squeeze too firmly or too softly, obscuring the accuracy of the dose. Keep in mind that sharing nasal atomizers is an excellent way to pass on the common cold.
• Solubility drops with temperature, so if I were dosing outside on a cold winter day, I’d be inclined to warm the device in my crotch for a while and shake vigorously prior to dosing to ensure the material remains in solution.
• I always dose conservatively at first, beginning with two sprays and then waiting about 15-30 minutes before considering another. Taking more is always possible … but taking less is impossible once I’ve inhaled it.
My First Experience:
T+0:00 - I began by administering what I estimated to be a half of a spray (~60 mcg) into one nostril, to see if any ill effects would present themselves.
T+0:05 – I feel nothing yet, so I administer an additional spray (125 mcg).
T+0:15 – I still feel nothing, so I administer an additional 125 mcg, and moments later feel off baseline. The feelings are difficult to pinpoint as they are subtle, but hot flashes and sweatiness are definitely two of them.
T+0:25 – Knowing typical doses of this substance are around 500mcg or greater, and not wanting to under-dose I administer another 125 mcg, bringing my total dose up to 435 mcg. I’m surprised at this point how long it is taking for the substance to show itself.
T+0:35 – I am feeling the come-up of the substance at this point. It feels similar to other 2C substances, yielding butterflies in my stomach and a mild dysphoria. I go outside for a walk in the sunshine, but as I’m walking I begin to feel as though my breathing is being restricted and this causes me to become anxious. This feeling is not uncommon for me when I take any psychedelic, so I return home to take 0.25 mg of Alprazolam.
T+0:50 – I return to walking in the garden. The fear has subsided and the substance has developed into something more significant. I am now at a strong Plus Two. Colours are enhanced and there is a certain degree of confusion and muscle tension developing.
T+1:05 – There has been only a slight elevation of effects over the past 15 minutes, although I still feel I am at a strong Plus Two. I begin to wonder whether I’ve reached the peak. I begin getting ready to go out to the theatre with my wife to see a performance of Shakespeare’s Sonnets.
T+1:55 – I am at the theatre and the show is beginning. I was dead wrong about being at the peak, as over the past hour the effects have slowly continued to build. The ride to the theatre was quite harrowing, and at one point I asked my sober wife if she would mind not driving so aggressively, upon which she calmly brought my attention to the speedometer, which was hovering around 45 mph and we were travelling in the slow lane of the freeway. At the theatre I am at a moderate Plus Three, but am able to speak and socialize at without too much discomfort. My heart rate is slightly elevated, I feel quite hot and colours are nicely enhanced, but the visuals are not significant. CEVs are only very subtle.
T+3:35 – The performance has ended and I now return to jot down some quick notes. Throughout the performance I found myself to be far more connected to the actors than I normally would be. I was thoroughly unable to interpret the plot-line although this is not unusual for me with Shakespeare. This was inconsequential, as the shear energy and emotion of the actors was enough to delight my senses, and at times I would quietly weep at the intensity of the lovers’ angst being displayed upon the stage, despite not knowing what the hell they were saying. The dose was absolutely perfect. Deep enough to really fall into the performance, without being so deep as to interfere with my enjoyment of it. By the end, I was feeling that I was coming down, and was able to speak with the actors coherently after the show.
T+4:00 – We go for a walk through the neighborhood surrounding the theatre and all the spring colours are out in the residential gardens. The plants and flowers look beautiful to me as I walk, and since I am feeling more and more towards baseline, I decide to snuffle another hit of 125 mcg. Within about 30 minutes I was feeling nice and trippy once again.
T+5:00 – The supplemental dose brought me back up to a moderate Plus Two, and we dropped in to a restaurant for dinner. Eating was easy and the food tasted delicious. I was feeling extraordinarily happy and content, and deep conversation ensued throughout the meal.
T+6:00 – At this point I am feeling only lightly trippy, and these subtle feelings persisted for the next three hours. I was feeling completely baseline by T+8:00.
Summary: I’m intrigued by this substance. It was very pleasant and really deepened my theatre experience and I wouldn’t hesitate taking this dose again for a similar event. I tend to be pretty sensitive to psychedelics, so this dose felt about right, although I suspect the therapeutic value would become more apparent at a higher dose, and in that regard I see potential with this one.
I was surprised at the length of time it took for the material to develop it's effects, taking much longer than other substances I've insufflated. It wasn’t quite as visual as some of the other 2C chemicals I’ve used which surprised me, as so many others have described very pronounced visuals. All in all a wonderful substance to keep in my personal collection.
COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.