Erowid Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag
This reusable "Ecobag" is made of 100% recycled mid-weight
(10 oz) cotton canvas, printed with the Erowid logo.
Donate now and receive yours!
Sore Throat From Hell
Yerba Mate
by DontSmokeIt
Citation:   DontSmokeIt. "Sore Throat From Hell: An Experience with Yerba Mate (exp96236)". Erowid.org. Jun 27, 2016. erowid.org/exp/96236

smoked Yerba Mate (dried)

One evening decided since I didn't have any weed/spice I would smoke Yerba Mate since I know it has stimulating effects when drank like tea.

I sort of expected a similar but more potent experience, but I was dead wrong. There was absolutely no effects other then a small head buzz that can be created from smoking anything basically. Later I noticed the most PAINFUL sore throat I have ever experienced in my life.

Approx. 3 hours after smoking it the sore throat kicked in to the max, cold liquids making it worse. I drank hot tea and sucked on one chloraseptic pill each hour, but it didn't seem to alleviate it. My throat is so sore I can not speak 1 second without experiencing pain. I can not stress how annoying this is and it honestly feels like it's getting worse by the minute...

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 96236