Support honest drug info & help us reach a new high for the
number of $5+ donations in a month. [See Progress]
We still need 255 donations to meet our goal!

Donate by Bitcoin
Cut the Flavor - the Power of Milk
Calea zacatechichi
by SavageDryad
Citation:   SavageDryad. "Cut the Flavor - the Power of Milk: An Experience with Calea zacatechichi (exp94647)". Erowid.org. Apr 26, 2019. erowid.org/exp/94647

2 leaves buccal Calea zacatechichi (dried)

Many of the reports warn about the taste. They also warn about possible allergic reaction. So in order to test this I went ahead and placed 2 small dried leaves in my cheek and swallowed the resulting juices over 15 minutes.

The flavor- yes its bad. I am an experienced herbalist so I was prepared for a bad taste. It's very much like dandelion or burdock in its bitter flavor just MUCH more intense with a green grassy undercurrent. So with 15 minutes of time thinking I went over in my mind all the other nasty bitter teas I have had to deal with and how best to counter them.

The secret is milk! Or soy, almond or what have you. Its what tones down the bitter of bad coffee. So after the time was up I went and swigged a big mouth full or three of almond milk and it almost instantly removed the lingering bitter. How well will this work in a full cup of tea? I don't know yet and I intend to use a capsule when its time. But with some cream and sugar it very well may do the trick.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 94647
Published: Apr 26, 2019Views: 609
Calea zacatechichi (97) : First Times (2), Preparation / Recipes (30), Unknown Context (20)