Help us reach 20 reviews in 2018! And spread the word that accurate info about psychedelics and other drugs improves health, culture, and policies.
What's the Hype
Kratom ('Indonesian')
by tikaani
Citation:   tikaani. "What's the Hype: An Experience with Kratom ('Indonesian') (exp94332)". Erowid.org. Aug 7, 2015. erowid.org/exp/94332

2 tsp oral Kratom (powder / crystals)

I purchased some higher-quality micronized powder from a website that I've used before to buy lesser quality Red Vein Borneo Kratom. This Indonesian Kratom cost twice as much for 28 grams and I was hoping for a better experience. I had experienced some pain relief from the lesser quality Kratom, but no other effects such as euphoria that I have read others to have experienced. I am an experienced opiate user having graduated to 30 mgs of Morphine Sulphate ER and 50 mcg/hr Fentanyl patches in the last six months. I have been off the morphine for 30 days with regular use of Norco for chronic neck and back pain.

I took 2 teaspoons of the micronized powder which was the same dose that I used of the lesser quality Kratom. I mixed the powder with 1/2 cup of Bird's instant custard, which was warm at the time of consumption. The micronized powder mixes less readily with other liquids than the other lesser quality powder and I still gagged even after a coca cola chaser. Both times I used this method and dosage I received no pain relief and none of the more pleasant effects that I've read about. Both times I was off the Norco for over 24 hours. I experienced no nausea or other ill effects other than the gagging immediately after swallowing the Kratom. My partner who weighs slightly more than me and is male took 3 teaspoons and said he felt 'something' though nothing substantial that he would pay to experience again. He is also an experienced opiate user. He thought that the Kratom might be useful for opiate withdrawal in the future.

I'm wondering if the different higher qualities of Kratom are just a scam to get consumers to spend more money in search of some pain relief or intoxication. The Borneo Kratom, which was half the price was more effective. Though I don't really understand what people are talking about when they describe a euphoric feeling similiar to vicodin. Maybe I am just too jaded after the heavy opiate usage. Also, if you smoke Kratom, it would take forever to get enough ingested to equal the recommended dosage and I have no desire to toast my lung tissue. Maybe a vaporizor would be more effective? You'd still have to vaporize for a considerable amount of time to get the recommended dosage. I know because I tried this method with Kanna with no effect. I'm sorry to be so negative, but I feel that Kratom is just another way to waste money-along with all the other supplements I have amassed in my cupboards.

Exp Year: 2012ExpID: 94332
Published: Aug 7, 2015Views: 6,052
Kratom (203) : General (1), Alone (16)