Erowid - Honest Global Drug Information
Out of Control
5-HTP
by Benjamine
Citation:   Benjamine. "Out of Control: An Experience with 5-HTP (exp93259)". Erowid.org. Nov 4, 2011. erowid.org/exp/93259

4 tablets oral Tryptophan - 5-HTP

I started taking 5-htp as it was suggested by GNC staff as an alternative to ST Johns Worth, which I was taking as a light antidepressant. I decided to change since I was starting to get skin stains because of the St JW, and the 5htp apart from being a mood uplifter was supposed to work with insomnia as well. I took the maximum dose suggested by the pharmaceutical.

The first couple of weeks I felt great, I could immediately feel the difference in my mood and sleeping was easy. However, all of a sudden I found myself with bursts of anger and depression. I was emotionally totally out of control, extremely vulnerable and anxious. As I was trying to figure out what was upsetting me I remembered the 5htp. I stopped taking them and literally, a day after I felt the down of the pills, just extremely tired. A day or two later I felt normal again. GNC stuff could be really scary, I would never take that again.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 93259
Published: Nov 4, 2011Views: 14,445
Tryptophan - 5-HTP (196) : Depression (15), Therapeutic Intent or Outcome (49), Difficult Experiences (5), Alone (16)