Subtle Joy
Blue Lotus
by Anxious Joe
Citation:   Anxious Joe. "Subtle Joy: An Experience with Blue Lotus (exp92897)". Erowid.org. Jan 27, 2016. erowid.org/exp/92897

10 g oral Lotus/Lily - Nymphaea nouchali var caerulea (tea)

I should first tell you that I suffer from an anxiety disorder and I have been prescribed a variety of SSRIs and SSDRIs over the course of the last 10 years. Those medications and meditation definitely help me with anxiety, but I still have problems so I've been in search of something to supplement my current treatment and it looked like Blue Lotus may fit the bill.

I put 10 grams of blue lotus in a stovetop percolator with two cups of water. It didnít work out too well. The two cups of water didnít create enough steam and after 20 minutes I was left with very weak Blue Lotus tea. The water was barely discolored.

I moved onto plan B and poured the weak tea into a cup. I then took a normal metal tea filter, which only holds what you would use for normal cup of tea (two grams) and submerged two grams at a time into the hot water. Although this wasnít ideal, I still managed to get two large cups of very strong tea.

The taste was manageable for first few sips, but it became a real struggle to get the rest down without vomiting. I ended up chasing each sip with a ginger ale. The first effects were felt about 15 minutes drinking all of the tea. I felt distinctively more relaxed, but not tired.
I was watching meditation nature videos (which I have done many times before) and I noticed how the colors were especially beautiful. There were brief moments when I felt as though I was somewhat part of the nature pictures in the video, but was very much in touch with the reality that I was sitting in my basement.

About 15 minutes later, I went upstairs with my wife. I was unusually talkative and felt more affectionate toward her. I had the desire to stroke her hair and noticed (more so than usual) how beautiful she was. We sat in bed and talked and laughed for about 20 minutes as I stroked her hair and body, which was also very unusual. We then made love for about 40 minutes, which is about twice our norm. I also lasted through two of her orgasms. Normally, she is lucky to keep me hanging on through one. I then went to sleep and woke the next morning with no ill effects.

Except for the horrendous taste, it was a really nice experience. I donít smoke so Iíll be searching for way to ingest this stuff that doesnít involve two cups of tea.

Exp Year: 2011ExpID: 92897
Published: Jan 27, 2016Views: 6,449
Lotus/Lily - Nymphaea nouchali var caerulea (105) : General (1), First Times (2), Sex Discussion (14), Small Group (2-9) (17)