It's Erowid's 20th Anniversary!
Help us keep going for another twenty with a small donation?
Erowid is a global information resource. We're an educational non-profit working to provide an honest look at psychoactives. Accurate info is required in order to move forward with research, drug law reform, and safer use. This work is made possible by small donations and memberships (get our newsletter!).
Drastic Mixture
Rhodiola rosea & Amphetamines
by Eric
Citation:   Eric. "Drastic Mixture: An Experience with Rhodiola rosea & Amphetamines (ID 92852)". Erowid.org. Jan 2, 2012. erowid.org/exp/92852

DOSE: T+ 0:00 500 mg oral Rhodiola rosea
  T+ 1:30 35 oral Amphetamines

I took a 500mg Rhodiola pill in the morning. An hour or two later I began taking my Adderall prescription, which usually climbs slowly to about 40mg while I'm studying.

The effects were drastic. My appetite disappeared, which was never an issue after 4+ years with an Adderall prescription. My brain felt like it was going to explode. Physical side effects like nail-biting and twitchiness seemed more acute than usual. I was unable to focus because I felt so tweaked.

This was the second time I mixed the two. The first time I mixed them right before bed and didn't fall asleep until 6am. The only reason that I tried again is that I didn't realize how strongly they interacted.

Further research revealed that Rhodiola inhibits the neurotransmitters that Adderall overproduces. So, even though my experience was a bad one, others might find Rhodiola useful if they want to enhance the effects of Adderall. But I suggest you experiment cautiously.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 92852