Help us be a 2021 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Can't Remember What It Was Like to Feel Depressed
Buprenorphine / Naloxone (Suboxone)
by Euslace Nodd
Citation:   Euslace Nodd. "Can't Remember What It Was Like to Feel Depressed: An Experience with Buprenorphine / Naloxone (Suboxone) (exp91263)". Erowid.org. Jun 5, 2019. erowid.org/exp/91263

8 mg sublingual Pharms - Buprenorphine (daily)
  2 mg sublingual Naloxone (daily)

Buprenorphine for Depression

I had what they call treatment-refractory depression. It means that all the regular medications didn't work. I've tried at least five different ones, including Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Symbyax, Concerta, and Prozac. Not a single one of these did anything for me and most made me feel HORRIBLE. So I started self-medicating. Opioids were the ONLY thing that made me feel normal, but there are obviously a lot of drawbacks to the mu-agonists.

Eventually those drawbacks led me to an internist who prescribed Suboxone (buprenorphine/naloxone). It makes me feel just GOOD, but not like like an amphetamine or a cocaine good, just pleasant and positive, happy and calm. I have to stress, it is NOTHING at all like the amphetamines, its much more subtle.

I'm down to 8 mg/day now, and I can't remember what it was like to feel depressed. I've read that doses can go as low as 1 to 0.5 mg and still be effective for depression. I used to get a slight high from it, but my tolerance is up now and I just feel normal.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 91263
Published: Jun 5, 2019Views: 418
Pharms - Buprenorphine (265) : Depression (15), Medical Use (47), Not Applicable (38)