Induced Short Term Memory Loss?
5-HTP
by Mija
Citation:   Mija. "Induced Short Term Memory Loss?: An Experience with 5-HTP (exp89834)". Erowid.org. Aug 7, 2017. erowid.org/exp/89834

1 capsl oral Tryptophan - 5-HTP

History: about 10 years ago, I smoked weed every day for a year. I donít believe I have ever fully recovered from the short term memory loss that has resulted. Slowly, it seems to be getting better.

I have seen a therapist for a couple months over a year ago, as I thought that I had anger issues. With a new job that I had, I no longer had time for yoga, meditation and Tai Chi. I felt stressed and angry all of the time. I felt that I needed to control everything and became irate when things didnít go my way. She indicated that I had anxiety issues, possibly a little bit of depression. I went on anxiety pills for a week, but they made me dizzy and I no longer had my ďhighsĒ (when Iím happy, Iím REALLY happy). The ďlowsĒ werenít there, but I decided to throw out the pills.

What seemed to work for me was moving out of my living arrangements, getting a new job, and believe it or not, listening to house music. I am learning to make time for yoga, meditation and Tai Chi Ė itís become apparent that they are essential to me.

Current issue: I bought a bottle of 5 htp because a friend recommended 5 htp to me, indicating that it helps with PMS and seasonal affective disorder. You are to take it on an empty stomach, so I took one capsule this morning with apple juice along with my Biotin capsules and fish oil capsules.

I was already in a great mood, so didnít notice any change except that I felt I was daydreaming a bit more than usual, and didnít feel the need to get mad at drivers during my commute.

When I got to work, I could not remember for the life of me, how to log in to my computer. (Iíve been working here for about a year). Also, during a conversation, I had to stop talking as I lost my train of thought Ė which hasnít happened in a very long time.

I enjoy alcohol on many occasions, but only had a couple sips of zinfandel before bed and have not smoked weed in over a year. I canít say for sure that 5 htp induced the memory loss, but itís just such a coincidence that that happened today, about 2 hours after ingesting a capsule.

Exp Year: 2011ExpID: 89834
Published: Aug 7, 2017Views: 2,300
Tryptophan - 5-HTP (196) : Depression (15), Hangover / Days After (46), First Times (2), Various (28)