Follow @Erowid on Instagram!
Changes to Audition
MDPV & AM-2201
by balaam
Citation:   balaam. "Changes to Audition: An Experience with MDPV & AM-2201 (exp89688)". Erowid.org. Feb 20, 2011. erowid.org/exp/89688

100 mg oral AM-2201
  T+ 1:00 10 mg oral MDPV
  T+ 1:30 10 mg oral MDPV
  T+ 2:00 10 mg oral MDPV

I have been a psychonaut for 44 years. Besides a general interest in exploring myself and the world of which I am part, informed by desire for the power to transform both, I have specific interest in pharmacological enhancement of music and sex (in objective execution as well as subjective experience).

I have recently started investigating MDPV and AM2201. My dosing studies of AM2201 started with 10mg oral and have paused at 150mg oral. I found pianistic empowerment began at 50mg, was substantial at 100mg, and profound but mixed (some executory impairment) at 150mg. I suspect that larger doses might be suitable for set pieces, but that the logical lability (awareness of the fine grain of the topology of compositional structure getting in the way of selecting a particular point in that space) seemed to outweigh the accession of passion of engagement. 100mg seemed perfect for public performance, 150mg a bit too much for that context but perfect for writing at home, and 200mg and up likely suitable only for creative exploration and hedonic indulgence.

AM2201 had no specific effect on perceived timbre of piano, apart from a general 'sweetening' similar to the effect of cannabis. MDPV oral at doses of 10mg to 30mg likewise had little such effect when taken alone, but when I took three 10mg doses at 30 minute intervals starting an hour after ingesting 100mg of AM2201 the subjective timber was profoundly shifted to increased treble. My keyboard has presets for grand and modern (upright) piano. The latter is much brighter (more treble). The combination took my perception of the grand sound way past the upright sound, to the point of being unpleasant, and made the upright setting intolerably bright.

This change was still pronounced although lessened after eight hours of sleep (at which time no other residual drug effect was noticed). This caused me some concern since I much preferred my old ears to the ones I was wearing, but the next day everything was back to normal. Subsequent dosing studies of MDPV ranging up to six 10mg doses at thirty minute intervals have given a slight brightening effect, but nothing so pronounced and annoying.

MDPV is a hazardous drug of low therapeutic ratio, analogous to fly agaric and jimson weed. I consider it interesting and potentially useful musically, though much less so than AM2201, and look forward to evaluating both as aphrodisiacs, but it clearly IS NOT TO BE TOYED WITH, by itself or ESPECIALLY combined with other drugs. Like fly agaric and jimson weed it underscores the admonitions of Paracelsus: 'the poison is in the dose' and of Eric Clapton: 'it's in the way that you use it'.

Exp Year: 2011ExpID: 89688
Published: Feb 20, 2011Views: 15,768
AM-2201 (529), MDPV (377) : Unknown Context (20), Music Discussion (22), Combinations (3)