A Recovering Addicts Take on Vyvanse
Lisdexamfetamine
by Rick
Citation:   Rick. "A Recovering Addicts Take on Vyvanse: An Experience with Lisdexamfetamine (exp89651)". Erowid.org. Dec 5, 2012. erowid.org/exp/89651

40 mg oral Lisdexamfetamine (capsule)

Background Ė Iím a recovering addict so I havenít consumed any intoxicating substances in the past 5 months. I smoked marijuana and hash habitually (multiple times a day) for the past 2 years, I have experience with psychadelics (LSD, psilocybin containing mushrooms, MDMA, and salvia dinorum), and Iíve abused various pharmaceuticals (Oxycontin, Vicodin, Percocet, Xanax, Ativan, Promethazine/Codeine cough syrup, DXM, ect). I have moderate AHDH. My symptoms are mostly of the attention deficit variety rather than hyperactivity. Most recently I was prescribed 20mg XR and 15mg IR of Adderall. The Adderall was discontinued after my parents and psychiatrist found out I was abusing it, which was around 4 months ago while I was in treatment. Iíve also been prescribed Concerta, which made me really socially anxious and introverted. I ate a breakfast of 2 eggs, 1 piece of toast, a cup of coffee, and an 8 oz Redbull.

T + 0:00ó Itís 12:00 on a Sunday morning. I took 2 20mg capsules of Vyvanse washed down with lemon water. Iím going to go outside and have a cigarette.

T + 10:00ó Experiencing the usual nausea and buzz that accompany the first cigarette of the morning, but I can already feel an additional sense of awareness and centeredness that I get from Amphetamines. Iím going to work on studying for a history test that I have tomorrow and listen to some Tech House to keep me entertained while I work.

T + 25:00ó Definitely experiencing what Iím assuming will be close to the full effects of the Vyvanse. I didnít get the same rush that I did when I took Adderall. The onset of the effects are much more gradual. Every few minutes I check in with myself and feel a heightened sense of focus on whatever Iím working on. I feel some slight euphoria; itís nothing more than a mild sense of wellbeing, but itís definitely noticeable. Iím content and focused on writing my experience report, but itís still a little difficult to stay on top of both the report and studying for my history test.

T + 30:00ó As a note, I donít think Iíve spent more than a moment idly doing nothing since ingestion, and time seems to have elapsed really slowly as a result.

T + 45:00ó Two frustrating side effect of Adderall that I struggled with were dry mouth and complete loss of appetite. Right now, my mouth isnít dry at all. Iím not hungry, but I feel like I could eat if I tried. I am thirsty though so I think Iíll have another 8 oz Redbull. My pupils are currently normal size.

T + 1:30:00ó Smoked another cigarette. Finding it harder to focus on schoolwork than if Iíd taken 20mg of Adderall XR. Still feeling motivated to work and slightly euphoric, but I wouldnít classify the experience as mood altering, itís more like I have an increased sense of self awareness and satisfaction that Iím doing what I need to do (study history). Studying is going well. The past hour and a half has felt like ages though. I feel like my brain is working faster than normal, but not in an artificial or forced way. Iím not the least bit drowsy. I feel a little over caffeinated and my level of anxiety is definitely heightened, but itís not oppressive. I feel compelled to do work though. Any wasted time makes me feel kind of worried that Iím wasting my meds and not living up to the expectation I set for the drug.

T + 1:45:00ó Just turned my music off, making things much easier to focus on. The work is engrossing enough to keep me occupied without having to rely on the distraction of music.

T + 4:25:00ó Just did 2.5 straight hours with SAT tutors and the effects of the Vyvanse are still going strong. I felt engaged and not the least bit bored the entire time I did SAT prep. Social skills seem enhanced as communicating with my tutors was effortless. The methodical and arguably tedious SAT work I did was almost fun and extremely satisfying to complete. Physiologically, my mouth is starting to get pretty dry, but itís hardly comparable to the cottonmouth from smoking cannabis or even Adderall, but itís definitely noticeable.

T + 5:00:00óIím going out to dinner in an hour and a half, but the thought of eating right now isnít very appealing at all. Iím starting to feel pretty anxious. I donít have the normal fog in my brain and all of my thoughts and conscious contact with my brain and body is totally concise. As I write, I find that I have my sentences written in my head before I type them out, while I usually write and then think about my sentence when Iím not on a stimulant. Iím putting on some Flying Lotus and ambient dub and going outside to chain-smoke to try and relax. The anxiety Iím feeling is the kind that sits in the back of your neck around the brainstem. I have the feeling that itís from overdoing the caffeine this morning, so Iíll have to write another experience report when I havenít ingested any caffeine. The anxiety makes me question whether or not I want to continue taking the Vyvanse, but itís slowly subsiding. The benefits of how well I can focus and how engaged I am by my studying undoubtedly makes up for the mild to moderate anxiety Iím experiencing.

T + 5:15:00óThe anxiety is definitely predominantly from the caffeine crash Iíve decided. Despite the anxiety, I still feel content and extremely focused. The nicotine and easy tunes really helped me center myself. I had a conversation with my brother that went really. I feel more inclined to be extroverted and pleasant than normal. If I donít focus so much on the anxiety itself and just concentrate on the work at hand, it really starts to go away. Itís easy to get trapped in your head and over-analyze things, especially uncomfortable feelings like anxiety. When I start talking or writing those feelings go away and my train of thought shifts exclusively to the task at hand. Iím going to take a break from my work, which has been pretty constant for the first 5 hours after ingestion, and play some Call of Duty. My prediction is that my KD will improve.

T + 5:40:00óAnxiety is totally gone. Xbox is going fine, not doing any better than usual, but I guess I make less stupid mistakes and am more meticulous about placement. Game is more engaging than usual and is a lot of fun.

T + 8:00:00óIím exhausted. I totally crashed from the caffeine though I can still feel the stimulating effects of the Vyvanse, though much more subtlety than 3 hours ago. I only managed to eat an appetizer at dinner, and Iím totally full from what little I ate. Iím not feeling any anxiety or nervousness right now. Iím going to try and get another hour of work in before I give up until school tomorrow morning. I donít feel the same sense of contentment that I did earlier in the day, but I by no means feel depressed or down. The comedown was fairly smooth, but definitely more noticeable than the comedown off of a comparably small dose of Adderall.

T + 8:15:00óIím not Ĺ as focused as I was earlier. I think Iím just experiencing the dregs of the drug at this point. My mouth is still dry though! Iím really hoping I get to sleep without any problems tonight. Even though my level of focus is declining, the alertness and sensitivity to my surroundings aspects of Vyvanse are still present.

T + 9:00:00óI feel as if Iím almost totally back to normal. Iím still wide awake despite a long day of work, but my level of focus is at its normal level, below average. I donít have a headache or any anxiety. The only physiological effect is still the dry mouth, which has been unrelenting.

Concluding thoughts
Overall, I really liked Vyvanse. Since I started taking Adderall Iíve felt strongly that Amphetamine is a wonderful drug and can make a huge difference in peoplesí quality of life. I found the onset of the drug to be slow and steady and the comedown was likewise. The side effects I experienced were mild anxiety, mild euphoria, dry mouth, and loss of appetite. Though undoubtedly apparent, the side effects were mild in comparison to those of Adderall. Vyvanse is an excellent alternative to other stimulants for treating AHDH, with the added benefits of reduced abuse potential, lasts about 2 or 3 hours longer than Adderall, and the onset and comedown are milder than on both Adderall and Ritalin.

Exp Year: 2011ExpID: 89651
Published: Dec 5, 2012Views: 57,630
Lisdexamfetamine (589) : General (1), First Times (2), Nature / Outdoors (23), Hangover / Days After (46), Various (28)