I Ended Up in the Hospital, Ha Ha.
Syrian Rue
by bomjumaku
Citation:   bomjumaku. "I Ended Up in the Hospital, Ha Ha.: An Experience with Syrian Rue (exp84595)". Erowid.org. Apr 1, 2010. erowid.org/exp/84595

10.65 g oral Syrian Rue (tea)


My first dose was early in the day, I'd say it was about 1pm. I used 3.52g of Syrian Rue seed that I had crushed up with a mortar and pestle into a powder. I made a tea with this, and drank all of it. This stuff is NASTY. The effects came in about 1.5 hours. They were really subtle and I really enjoyed them. They lasted about 2 hours and did not impair my ability to do any normal tasks. Walking was more interesting and fun. I went to the dining courts on campus with some friends and my RA, haha. I found myself very interested in the spinach I was eating for some reason. I remember that I went to eat at 5pm. I hadn't eaten since 3am the same day. I had a glass of milk, the whites from two eggs, and a plate of spinach. I'm pretty sure all of this is okay to eat when taking MAOI's. I decided that I really liked the effects, so when I got home I started making another brew.

This is where I made my mistake. I used 10.65g of the Syrian Rue this time when making my tea. I let it heat for over an hour this time; where previously I had only let it brew for about 10 min. I drained the mix through a few coffee filters. I decided that if I ate the seeds it would make for a more... intense experience. BOY was I right! NEVER eat the seeds. I am not sure exactly how much of the seeds I ate. If I had to guess I'd say about half of what I used to make the tea ended up in my stomach. I then forced down the tea over the next 30 min (right now just thinking about the tea is making me nauseous). By the time I had finished the tea the effects were kicking in. I noticed very mild tracers. I was laying down on a futon next to a friend. There were probably 6 people in my room. I remember wishing that they would be quiet so I could enjoy myself. The effects intensified. I yawned, and my jaw popped. I remember this sound echoing over and over and kind of manifesting into a beat for about 30 seconds before it faded away. I remember that one of my friends kept moving around a lot, and every time he would make a movement, it would replay in my head.

At one point I grabbed the back of my head and covered my ears with my forearms to block out the noise from my room, and when I did I heard my blood pumping through my arms. I interpreted this as the sound of helicopter blades. The sound was really deep and pleasant, so I held my arms in this position for about 10 min. I was very calm, relaxed, and happy. If I closed my eyes I felt the whole room spinning around me.

It was around this time I realized that I really had to pee. I sat up, and was instantly completely disoriented. My friends did not know what I had taken, and did not believe me when I told them that I didn't think I could make it to the bathroom on my own. I lied back down thinking about my situation. I had been trying to decide whether or not I was going to throw up for the last 15 min. I sat up again, and prepared myself to attempt to go to the bathroom (I live in a dorm and had to use the public restroom). I started walking, and was wobbling back and forth through my friends towards the door. Luckily my room is right next to the bathroom. I managed to make it into the bathroom (I probably missed the door handle 4 times before I could open it). At this point the tracers were very intense. My senses seemed to be overloaded very easily, so I tried to keep my eyes closed as much as possible.

I got to the urinal and as I was finishing up I realized that vomit was imminent. I rushed to the stall and got to the toilet right in time. I threw up instantly. At this point it is safe to say that I knew I had done something wrong. The tracers were now so bad that I would only open my eyes for seconds at a time in order to get a general idea of where things were or where I was or if the stall door was locked. I couldn't decide if I should keep the stall door locked or not. I didn't want people to have a hard time opening the door if I passed out, and I didn't particularly want people seeing me in the state that I was in. Luckily my friends came in to check on me pretty often (about every 15 min) but to me it felt like they were taking hours between each visit. I went back and forth between on my knees vomiting, having diarrhea, and laying on the floor of the bathroom. All I wanted was for this to stop, but I read extensively about other people's experiences, and I knew that my ordeal was far from over. Eventually my RA got wind of my shenanigans and came in to the bathroom. Surprisingly, for the state that I was in I was completely coherent of my surroundings and able to articulate myself fully (except of course when I was vomiting). My RA decided to call the ambulance against my wishes.

When the “paramedics” got there around 11pm I had managed to pull my pants up. I told them that I had taken a MAOI and that I was just vomiting because I had eaten the seeds. They had no idea what 'MAOI's' were. Well, I ended up in the hospital until about 2am. They gave me an IV because I was dehydrated from vomiting and made me take some nausea pills. I just waited for the effects to fade and they let me go.

On the way home I vomited again, something that I was used to by now. Walking to my room I realized that I still had pretty intense tracers. However, I was able to walk by myself (something that I was very grateful for)! I laid down, and enjoyed the tracers waving my hand back and forth. I slept pretty well. I woke up this morning (I'm writing this report the day after) and I felt well rested. Almost all of the effects are gone now (It's 10:43pm). Everything still seems a little surreal, as I imagine it will for the next few days.

Overall, the experience was worth having; even though it was horrible. I now respect my health much more, and I respect the power that some of these plants have. As of now, I do not want to ever try Syrian Rue again. I may just stick to light drinking once and a while. I don't really feel like I need to search for a crazy high anymore because my experience was pretty horrifying.

If you are thinking about taking this, please consider what happened to me. Don't eat the seeds whatever you do.


Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 84595
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: 19 
Published: Apr 1, 2010Views: 39,604
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Syrian Rue (45) : Small Group (2-9) (17), Difficult Experiences (5)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission prior to your downloading the data.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults