Help us reach 20 reviews in 2018! And spread the word that accurate info about psychedelics and other drugs improves health, culture, and policies.
Ruined My Bladder
Ketamine
by miserykitten
Citation:   miserykitten. "Ruined My Bladder: An Experience with Ketamine (exp81831)". Erowid.org. Sep 23, 2010. erowid.org/exp/81831

Ketamine (powder / crystals)

I've been using ketamine pretty heavily for a few years and it has ruined my life.
I started getting really awful pains every time I pissed, and then I started sometimes pissing blood, which scared the shit out of me, and pissing my pants - very embarrassing.

I went to see my doctor about it, he told me I had cystitis and gave me an antibiotic, which didn't do anything. I kept going back because the pain was so unbearable that I couldn't do anything, eventually he sent me to a specialist. To cut a long story short, I am now on a waiting list to have my bladder removed. I know other ket users who have got catheters and are having the same problems. Here is some advice that I was given by my social worker...

'Eating or drinking before using ketamine may cause you to puke or choke on your vomit if you lose consciousness.'
'Guard against vulnerability and forgetfulness by making sure you’re with people you can trust.'
'Mixing ketamine with other drugs or alcohol will make problems worse.'
'Avoid severe and long lasting tummy pain (K cramps) by not swallowing the drug – there is a strong belief that ketamine in the stomach makes cramps worse.'
'If you sit in the bath to soothe the pain there is a risk of unconsciousness and drowning.'
'If you have a panic or anxiety attack, stay with your friends. Make sure someone is looking after you. Relax through slow, controlled breathing.'
'If you experience problems with peeing, be aware that the symptoms won’t be helped by cystitis treatments. Drink plenty of water. Seek medical help, tell your GP that you use ketamine and ask for a referral to an urologist to reduce the risk of permanent harm.'
'If you find yourself needing to use higher and higher doses and are using more often than intended, keep an eye on your using. Give yourself breaks from using if you can.'
'If you feel depressed and anxious when stopping or reducing ketamine use, get some professional help to manage your feelings while you reduce your using gradually. Try to distract yourself with activities you enjoy.'
'Injecting ketamine brings other risks of damaging your veins, skin infections and getting blood borne viruses such as Hepatitis or HIV. Get safer injecting advice and equipment from your nearest needle exchange.'

For anyone who is addicted to ketamine, like I was, please stay safe while you do it. A friend of mine was raped while she was K holing so please stay with people you know and don't be stupid.

[Reported Dose: 'a couple of grams a day']

Exp Year: 2009ExpID: 81831
Published: Sep 23, 2010Views: 14,203
Ketamine (31) : Post Trip Problems (8), Health Problems (27), Not Applicable (38)