Extractions and Seed Types
Poppies - Opium
by A.L. Chemist
Citation:   A.L. Chemist. "Extractions and Seed Types: An Experience with Poppies - Opium (exp78897)". Erowid.org. Apr 7, 2010. erowid.org/exp/78897

Poppies - Opium (extract)

Roughly six months ago, I started reading the reports on the preparation of and experiences with poppy seed tea. The workup and extraction seemed easy enough; but as any chemist would do, I consulted my old textbooks. My extraction method comes straight from my old organic book. This method involves a one-pot synthesis.

I took a small pot and added 500g of poppy seeds. Then I added 400mL of an 80% ethanol/water solution which has been acidified with 100mL of lemon juice. I boiled this solution for 15mins and filtered. This solution can either be drunk or evaporated which yields an awful tasting paste which left my catatonic for the better part of the day. However, when I'm not interested in getting drunk or that bombed with my tea, I alternatively use water in the extraction. Its milder but it results in a pretty good high.

As for choosing seeds, I ran the samples prepared with the cheaper lighter and samples prepared with the more expensive darker seeds on HPLC and 1HNMR. My tests showed that the samples prepared from the darker seeds contain more of the desired chemicals.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 78897
Published: Apr 7, 2010Views: 8,914
Poppies - Opium (43) : Preparation / Recipes (30), Not Applicable (38)