Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
Less the Substance, More the Technique
Oxygen
by The Spivey
Citation:   The Spivey. "Less the Substance, More the Technique: An Experience with Oxygen (exp7879)". Erowid.org. Jul 5, 2001. erowid.org/exp/7879

repeated inhaled Oxygen (gas)

I went to the new Oxygen Bar in the Broadway Market in Seattle's Capitol Hill district. I bought, for $2, a reusable nasal cannula, which was then hooked up by clear surgical tubing to the oxygen machine. I settled back in a reclining massage chair (left the rolling massage things turned off, so it was just a comfortable chair). I was able to pick either plain oxygen, or gas that was bubbled through one of several 'aromtherapy' scents. I chose the plain oxygen. I settled back and began, at the advice of the staffer, breathing slowly in through the nose and out through the mouth.

I did notice a sense of relaxation after a few minutes, accompanied by a sense of detachment from the surrounding mall. The queue of people waiting to see a movie seemed distant, and I became aware of the acoustics of the environment. The 15 minutes passed quickly, and I headed out.

A day later, I decided to return to the mall to try something out. I went to the side of the floor opposite the Oxygen Bar, sat in one of the mall's plastic chairs, and spent 15 minutes doing nothing but breathing slowly. I got the same effects noticed the day before. Generally, my verdict is that any sense of relaxation and hyperawareness I gained was due the the fact that I rarely spend 15 minutes just breathing -- pure oxygen or regular air -- and the dollar-a-minute stuff didn't seem to offer anything I couldn't get from the free stuff.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 7879
Published: Jul 5, 2001Views: 37,966
Oxygen (187) : General (1), Large Group (10+) (19)