It's Erowid's 20th Anniversary!
Help us keep going for another twenty with a small donation?
Erowid is a global information resource. We're an educational non-profit working to provide an honest look at psychoactives. Accurate info is required in order to move forward with research, drug law reform, and safer use. This work is made possible by small donations and memberships (get our newsletter!).
Impulsivity with Long Term Use
Zolpidem (Ambien) & Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
by KReed
Citation:   KReed. "Impulsivity with Long Term Use: An Experience with Zolpidem (Ambien) & Bupropion (Wellbutrin) (ID 74499)". Erowid.org. Oct 19, 2008. erowid.org/exp/74499

DOSE:   oral Pharms - Bupropion (daily)
  10 mg oral Pharms - Zolpidem (daily)

I am 52 years old, and I have been on 10 mg of Ambien each night for four years. It was prescribed to counteract the sleeplessness caused by my Wellbutrin SR for depression. If I take it and go straight to bed, I experience no problems. However, if I stay up, even watching TV, I have had amnesia. I have written e-mails and had conversations which made no sense and I had no recollection of the next day.

With my very long-term use, I have noticed I have become much more fixated and impulsive.
I tend to choose a subject, and for a couple of months I research everything about that subject. I subscribe to magazines about it, buy things I don't need, and can think of nothing else. It's like it consumes my thoughts. After a couple of months of this, I lose interest, and start with something else. I know at the time that it is not normal to be spending all my waking time obsessed with some topic or thing, but at the time it is happening I can't control it.

I think I am going to have to stop the Ambien, as this never happened before I started this drug.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 74499