Have you tried Peyote, San Pedro, or pure Mescaline?
Take this 45 minute survey!
I Want This to End
Diphenhydramine
by SchitzoJoe
Citation:   SchitzoJoe. "I Want This to End: An Experience with Diphenhydramine (exp70307)". Erowid.org. Jul 7, 2016. erowid.org/exp/70307

250 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  T+ 0:30 50 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)

First Time: Not a Pleasant Experience

It's 1:38am. About 5 minutes ago, I downed 10 pills (250mg) of Benadryl. I don't know what it will do to me. Well, I have an idea. But it's different for everybody.

This is my log. My story. My experience of this trip that I've heard can be glorious, horrendous, both,and even absolutely life-changing. This isn't a 'let's get fucked up' type situation. This is a test. Can I handle the intense, mind-fucked, infamous 'diphenhydramine trip'? Am I man enough to last? I'm prepared for hallucinations, but I'm not prepared for the unexpected. Which is probably what this will result in.

+0:00 - Downed 10 pills. And waiting.
+0:10 - Feeling tingling in feet. Probably just my imagination or the cold from anxiety. Waiting. Turned on some Mars Volta to listen to to ease the anxiety.
+0:20 - Things are getting kinda blurry. Very quick onset. Only 20 minutes and I'm feelin' something. But still, might just be my imagination. Most definite drowsiness (a usual symptom from diphenhydramine).
+0:30 - Tired of waiting for something crazy. Took another two 25mg tabs (total 300mg), but doubt it will do anything much extra. But hey, it all adds up.
+0:45 - Nothing except the occasional twitchy flash movement out of the corner of my eye. Feel slightly intoxicated, but nothing to write home about.
+1:00 - Euphoric feeling finally kicks in. Much like the relaxation given when smoking cannabis, but much more deep. Light hurts eyes much more- must be because of pupil dilation.
+1:30 - Completely euphoric. Tingling shoots up leg occasionally. Pretty clumsy, feels inebriated, as if I just got back home from a huge night on the town. Moderate nausea. Still no visual hallucinations.
+2:00 - Legs beginning to feel restless. Still have intense euphoria. Auditory hallucinations, even heard a woman's blood-curdling scream from what sounded to be coming from my living room, but no one was there.

+2:30 - Legs extremely restless, very very uncomfortable. Euphoria is no longer euphoric- more of just a 'sick' feeling.
+3:00 - I want this to end. Nausea occasionally occurs, legs extremely restless. Still no visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations gone.
+3:30 - Can't sleep. This is no longer entertaining- I wish I had never taken the Benadryl now. Extremely uncomfortable. I want this to stop. It feels like I'm separated from the entire world- I don't notice anything going on around me until I snap back to reality every 5-10 minutes.
+4:00 - Fell asleep. Dreamt of nothing.

Next morning, I woke up. Everything starting from the beginning euphoric sensations feels like a dream, as if it had never happened. Still feel strung-out, not hungover, just strung out.

If you want to experience this trip, go for it. I have to tell you that it was very unpleasant for me- taking more might possibly could make me feel a bit better, not so restless, but I'm not willing to try it- not at this stage anyways.

Conclusion: Diphenhydramine gave me something I wasn't ready for: A very, very unpleasant trip. Much more uncomfortable than I could've imagined.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 70307
Published: Jul 7, 2016Views: 22,911
Diphenhydramine (109) : Difficult Experiences (5), First Times (2), Alone (16)