Help us be a 2021 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Still Haunts My Thoughts Almost Daily
Inhalants - Chloroethane
by bjmeister
Citation:   bjmeister. "Still Haunts My Thoughts Almost Daily: An Experience with Inhalants - Chloroethane (exp70070)". Erowid.org. May 26, 2019. erowid.org/exp/70070

Inhalants (liquid)

[Erowid Note: Our understanding of the literature is that there is no such thing as safe recreational use of volatile solvents, aerosols and other street inhalants : their psychoactive effects are inseparable from nerve and organ damage. We have chosen to include these reports to help document the real world use of inhalants, but their inclusion is not intended to imply that they are anything but dangerous.]

My Most Terrifying Experience

I had only one experience with ethyl chloride, and it was not a good one. In fact, it was absolutely terrifying, and still haunts my thoughts almost daily, more than a month later. I was hooking up with a friend of mine, and I asked if he had any poppers around, which we had used together before many times. He said he didn't have any, but offered me this other stuff in a silver spray can, which I know now (after a little post-experience research) to be ethyl chloride. He showed me how to spray it onto a tshirt and inhale the vapors, it reminded me of the cans of compressed air.

Anyways, the first time I only did a normal hit and it just made me light headed and drunk feeling, but really good. A couple minutes later I tried spraying a bunch of it and inhaling it through my mouth. I slipped off into what felt like a deeper state of consciousness. The feeling of terror was absolutely overwhelming, I felt like I had discovered the universe was one big joke, and I was totally enveloped in a sense of terrifying infinity
, where every time I realized the answer, I forgot the question. When I came to, I was half in and half out of this terrifying cycle. I was totally worked up, shaking, freaking out, my friend calmed me down, and I felt pretty much fine after a minute or two, except for the memory of the experience, which is somehow both very vivid, yet impossible to describe.

The experience really shook me to the core, and I'm sure I will never forget it. I'll never use it again, but I'd tell my friends to never use more than the normal small amount.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 70070
Published: May 26, 2019Views: 1,146
Inhalants (29) : Post Trip Problems (8), Difficult Experiences (5), Small Group (2-9) (17)