New, Vintage, and Signed Blotter Art
Dennis McKenna, Ken Kesey, or the Shulgins
Sweet, Full, Earthy Flavor
Yerba Mate
by Jessulathena
Citation:   Jessulathena. "Sweet, Full, Earthy Flavor: An Experience with Yerba Mate (exp69088)". Erowid.org. Feb 23, 2010. erowid.org/exp/69088

oral Yerba Mate (daily)

I have been a tea drinker for all of my life. Four years ago was the first time I tried the green colored Yerba Mate. I tried it in the traditional method, using a bombillia and gourd and have been hooked since. About three years ago, I went to a teahouse in Portland Oregon and they had Roasted Yerba Mate. This was the best thing I have ever tasted in my life. I try to drink it every day now and I will never stop. The sweet, full, earthy flavor of the Roasted Yerba Mate is immensely more delicious than the hay-like flavor of the non roasted green Yerba Mate.

I have also found that the gourd and bombillia method of drinking the joyous plant is by far the best method. The flavor that the gourd develops over time is incredible. But, I decided to buy a new gourd once every year and discard the old one because it seemed to mildew after time. Now, this appeared to happen after a year of almost every day use and letting it air dry by turning it upside down on a towel or hanging free after rinsing the gourd out. I'm not sure if it actually was mildew but the smell and appearance wasn't extremely appealing at this time.

This drink gives me long lasting clarity and concentration and also a sense of well being. It is strongly effective for me to achieve heightened awareness every time I drink it. The Guarani Indians knew what they were doing!

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 69088