Donate to Erowid with Cryptocurrency
We take Bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies to support practical information about
psychoactive drugs. A great way to donate without lots of fees. Contribute a bit today!
Visual Oddities
Phentoin (Dilantin) & Lorazepam (Ativan)
by J Dawg
Citation:   J Dawg. "Visual Oddities: An Experience with Phentoin (Dilantin) & Lorazepam (Ativan) (exp68139)". Erowid.org. May 19, 2008. erowid.org/exp/68139

IV Pharms - Lorazepam (liquid)
  1000 mg IV Pharms - Phenytoin (liquid)

After going to the ER for a series of really bad Petit Mal seizures, and receiving a shot of Ativan (I don't know the mg) to neturalize the symptoms, the ER doc decided to give me a loading dose of IV Dilantin before I left. I had taken Dilantin in pill form before and hadn't noticed any noteworthy effect. I was expecting a small injection, but was surprised when the nurse brought in a IV bag containing 1000mg of the stuff.

By the time 200mg was in me, I noticed certain colors were standing out more, almost cartoon like in quality. At 500mg, edges of doors and walls appeared to be bulging out instead of going in a straight line. Lights also began to seem a lot brighter, and the text on the IV machine's readout appeared to be dancing. With 800mg in me, I began to feel quite tipsy and euphoric. I also felt a strange sensation in the back of my head, like that part of the brain was lined with metal.

When all of the stuff was in me, I was promptly discharged and sent home with a script for the pill form of Dilantin. The high at this point resembled the high generated by other anti-seizure medicines like Neurontin or Lyrica, but the visual aspect (bright lights, colors) closely resembled that of Extacy. I went to bed an hour or so later still feeling pretty loaded, and awoke the next day feeling like utter crap.

All in all, it was a unique experience, like a cross between Neurontin and Extacy (visually, anyway). The hangover the next day was terrible, but did not last too long.
I never knew Dilantin could do this!

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 68139
Published: May 19, 2008Views: 12,780
Pharms - Phenytoin (261) : General (1), Hospital (36)