Support Erowid Center with a $45 Donation
And get a blacklight-inked "Erologo" t-shirt!
Pain Relief
Yerba Mate (Ilex Paraguariensis)
by Oldfatty
Citation:   Oldfatty. "Pain Relief: An Experience with Yerba Mate (Ilex Paraguariensis) (exp67747)". Erowid.org. Dec 15, 2007. erowid.org/exp/67747

3 tsp oral Yerba Mate (daily)

My boyfriend came home with some Bio-Freeze and raved about how it worked on his lower back. I took a look at the ingredients and found Ilex Paraguariensis. Thinking one would benefit more by drinking than rubbing it on I began my experimenting. I was taking asprin for pain in my feet and knees 3-4 times a day and could barely walk upon arising in the AM. I now take 3 heaping teaspoons steaped and strained in a pint of water daily. I have taken NO pain relievers for 3 monthes. Use caution the first 2-3 days as you will need the crapper often. Home day!

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 67747