More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
Only 250 of those contribute $1 or more.
If you use Erowid, Please Donate.
Psilocybe and Prozac
Mushrooms - P. azurescens, Fluoxetine (Prozac) & Alcohol
by urchin
Citation:   urchin. "Psilocybe and Prozac: An Experience with Mushrooms - P. azurescens, Fluoxetine (Prozac) & Alcohol (exp66856)". Erowid.org. Jun 6, 2008. erowid.org/exp/66856

20 mg oral Pharms - Fluoxetine (daily)
  T+ 0:00 5 glasses oral Alcohol - Beer/Wine (liquid)
  T+ 3:00 1 cup oral Mushrooms (tea)

I have enjoyed mushrooms for years, but I just started taking Prozac (one 20mg pill daily) six weeks ago and I was wondering if this would effect my experience. I am happy to report that I had a lovely time.

My friends and I made tea out of some dried Psilocybe azurescens we had picked the week before. This took place at a big weekend campout/party. I had already decided to skip my daily dose of Prozac (just for one day) because I wanted to be able to drink beer around the campfire and I have noticed that Prozac causes alcohol to make me rather sleepy and a bit nauseous. I had probably had about 5 beers over the course of 3 hours when I ingested 1 cup of mushroom tea.

It only took about 10 minutes until I could feel it coming on, and within half an hour I was starting to peak. For a solid hour I laid with my back on the earth, looking up into an intensely starry sky, experiencing the usual sense of rich deep beauty, goodness, connectedness, belonging, and appreciation that P.azurescens has always shared with me. For hours afterwards I could still feel them. The whole “trip” lasted probably around 5 hours, which seems about usual. The only thing that was at all different was that the next day I felt a little over-emotional and weepy, but that could have been due to my skipping the pill, my alcohol consumption, or any number of other factors.

In short, I just wanted to let anyone know who might be worried about mixing Prozac and Psilocybin that I had no problem with it. Every time I take P. azurescens I feel that I am taking good medicine. As for Prozac and alcohol, that combo I’m afraid is not so good for me, but then alcohol never felt like very good medicine to begin with.

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 66856
Published: Jun 6, 2008Views: 16,432
Mushrooms - P. azurescens (844), Pharms - Fluoxetine (80) : Large Group (10+) (19), Hangover / Days After (46), Combinations (3)