Donate $45 and get an Erowid "Schedules" t-shirt as a thank-you gift!
Subtle Caffeine Buzz
Yerba Mate & Skullcap
by Abidagus
Citation:   Abidagus. "Subtle Caffeine Buzz: An Experience with Yerba Mate & Skullcap (exp64227)". Erowid.org. Feb 23, 2010. erowid.org/exp/64227

2 Tbsp oral Yerba Mate (tea)
  T+ 0:50 1 cup oral Skullcap (tea)

I placed about two tablespoons of Yerba Mate herb that I bought at a local herb store in a coffee press. I then added near-boiling water and allowed it to steep for about 4 minutes before pressing. I then added ice and enjoyed it with a cigarette. It tasted like green tea.

Within ten minutes I felt stimulation with a very mild caffeine buzz. The character of the buzz was not much like the buzz that I get from coffee, it was more subtle and did not make me feel 'fucked up.' It was a mild buzz centered in my forearms and forehead. I did not feel anxious or jittery.

About an forty minutes after this, the effects were about the same. At that time, I ingested a cup of skullcap tea, and the effects became confused with each other, therefore, I cannot say how long the effects lasted.

I highly recommend Yerba Mate as a coffee alternative, it provides stimulation without excessive anxiety or jitters.

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 64227
Published: Feb 23, 2010Views: 8,566
Yerba Mate (282) : General (1), Alone (16)